Mercury Inline 6 Tower of Power 90HP Propeller pitch Need Help!

frankrizzo

Cadet
I just recently tuned up my motor and put a new 17pitch prop on my 21' Center Console VIP. My max speed was 21MPH at 4500 RPM. What can I do to get more speed? Any help would be appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You are likely a bit overpropped, depending on the weight and hull type of the boat. However, make sure she is running on all 6 cylinders first, before you change the prop. Take a compression test, spark test and examine the spark plugs. The compression should be within 15%. You should obviously have spark on all cylinders. Also, all the spark plugs should be slightly black or brown. Any that are real clean or white are a problem.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Something's wrong. A 17 in prop, @ 4500, 2:1 gear ratio and 10% slippage should be 32-33 mph.

frankrizzo

Cadet
We changed the plugs before we went out last weekend, previous plugs looked fine. I will have to check compression again but last season it was fine. I have the same motor that is 115HP that I will be rebuilding soon, however everyone i have spoke to said that 90HP motor should be able to push the boat at least 30MPH.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It is possible you are carrying several hundred pounds of water if the foam floatation is saturated

frankrizzo

Cadet
I don't believe I have any foam insulation. Possibly boat is just too heavy? Motor was purring like a kitten last time i went out.