2005 15hp Mercury Outboard charging system

John2ski

Recruit
Do all 2005 15 HP 4 stroke Mercury outboards have the capability of charging the boat battery while trolling?? What year did Mercury start with the charging system capability?? I'm looking at a used motor. Do you have to get any other wires or cables to set one up???

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Per a 1994 sales brochure it 's standard on electric start engines and optional on manual start. Size is 5 amps....enough to keep your battery somewhat charged. The 5 amp number probably is available at or above 1000 rpm....that's how the 16 amp was rated on my 90 hp. Since my engine spec idle was 675, that was just over idle. Don't know when it came about. You can look at wires coming out from under the flywheel. There will be a set for triggers and another set, may be yellow, for charging. If only one set going to your trigger ckt and no little module about 1.5" square then you don't have it. Other check for having one is check out your red wires. If you see one going to a connector, or going some place other than to the triggers and the starter, you probably have one.