Mercury 60 hp bigfoot steering swivel bracket hard to turn

tomjab

Recruit
This a "new" 2012 engine just put on my pontoon boat. I had the same engine in a 2006 model so I know what the steering should feel like.
Steering is a 2 hander but functioning!
I first thought the steering cable might be the problem but it is super smooth. My Mercury dealer verified the problem is at the engine. They want to take it to their shop, tear it down and see what kind of problem might exist. It is under warranty for 5 years. I don't want to be without the boat for weeks while all this take place. I added grease to the point of pushing out grease at the top and stopped. Can the grease fail somehow due to sitting for a number of years in the crate? Any thoughts on what I can do myself short of the teardown?
(If nothing else I may try to get through the summer in Wisconsin and have the work done during ice fishing season.) Thanks for any help!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Have you tried greasing the swivel? That is a normal annual maintenance item

tomjab

Recruit
As I mentioned above, I added grease until it came out of the top of the swivel so I think there is plenty of grease.

James R

Commander
It sounds like something worse than just grease. The grease would not create a problem sitting in a crate. If you want them to honor the warranty and you not void it better let the dealer look at it. If the motor has been hit there could be a cracked casting.

Poon-Tooner

Recruit
I have been experiencing the exact same issue. Well, I just figured it out and now it steers real easy. There is a screw on the starboard side of the pivot housing. Back that screw out about 1/4 turn and see if that's it. That's a ease of steering adjustment, I guess. I hope that solves your problem.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have been experiencing the exact same issue. Well, I just figured it out and now it steers real easy. There is a screw on the starboard side of the pivot housing. Back that screw out about 1/4 turn and see if that's it. That's a ease of steering adjustment, I guess. I hope that solves your problem.

Don't know the engine but I had such on small engines that were tiller operated primarily. Never on larger engine.
--------------------

Tom. Did you say that you disconnected the steering tube inner rod from the engine such that the engine moved and the steering wheel didn't and still had binding?

tomjab

Recruit
Just finished the season in Wisconsin... My local Mercury dealer tore it down and found the swivel bracket was out of round and binding badly. They advised that they had never seen this before. New part on order and should be fixed by next week and covered by the Mercury warranty.

starrman2

Recruit

starrman2

Recruit
Thanks for the info ! I went to the dealer where I bought the Pontoon in 2014 and complained about the stiff steering and was told "it is normal on the Merc 60hp 4 strokes". After reading your post I pulled the parts break down and it clearly shows the screw that presses the "puck" that tightens the swivel. Im looking forward to getting back to the lake and see if this fixes my problem.

starrman2

Link to the Merc swivel parts list