5hp Force Mercury marine 2 stroke keeps dying.

colbthompson

Cadet
Just bought me a 14' aluminum v-hull with a 5hp force Mercury marine outboard on it. I took it out today and it ran fine at first. When I went to start it, it took a bit to get started again. It ran fine again and then it started to slowly die until it cut out. It did this 3-4 different times until I got back to shore. The vent on my tank is clear and open, and the bulb wasn't collapsing. Every time I tried it again I had to pull the choke and prime it again. It has fresh fuel. Any idea on what I can check? Any help is appreciated

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
A section of clear hose can be a useful tool. Beware, clear hose is NOT rated for gasoline use, so this is only to use for testing, the remove it and reinstall the correct fuel rated hose.

Put the clear hose in place of the fuel hose between the fuel pump and carb. Tun the motor and watch for any air bubbles passing through the hose indicating air sucking inthe fuel system from a loose fitting or crack in a fuel hose somewhere before the fuel pump.

colbthompson

Cadet
I dug more into the motor when I got home. I found a loose connection behind the fuel line connection. When I squeezed the bulb a little fuel was coming out. I don't know if that is the problem or not. I'm going to put a new hose clamp on it and see if it helps. I may try your idea anyways. Thank you for your help

colbthompson

Cadet
Worked on my outboard today. I put a new hose clamp on the fuel line and I've ran it now for almost an hour with no problems. Looks like that was where I was sucking air. Thanks for the help.

colbthompson

Cadet
Took my boat out today on the water and unfortunately it started doing the same thing. I ran it for an hour or so today in my water barrel and it didn't have a problem. The moment I got on the lake within 4 minutes it started to die. If I try to restart it after it dies it's a pain to get started. If I let it sit for 15-20 minutes it will fire up first pull. Any thoughts?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Do you have a remote tank or is the tank on the motor and is it pumping water

colbthompson

Cadet
It has a 3 gallon remote tank. As far as I can tell its pumping water. When I place my hand down by the prop I can feel the water coming out.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What do you mean you can feel water coming out by the prop are you talking the 2 relief holes. If you determine you are pumping water take it out and when it does it try pumping the fuel line ball.

colbthompson

Cadet
When it's running, not in gear with the prop not spinning I can put my hand down by the prop and feel water being pumped out. This is my first boat so I know very little. Further up on the lower unit there are 4 small holes that I believe are exhaust ports. Further down on the lower unit I can feel what I believe is water along with "bubbles" coming out.

ready4itall

Seaman Apprentice
You should find the pee hole (not sure where it is on this outboard) and see if water is making it thru to the pee hole.
The conditions you stated sound like an overheating problem I had before

colbthompson

Cadet
So I finally got into working on my motor. I hooked up muffs on it and it appears to be circulating water just fine. Any thoughts?