float pin drops out when bowl is dropped ?

coolkook

Cadet
1977 mercury 850...wont idle.so i dropped one of the float bowls to see how dirty it was...super clean..looks like it was serviced recently..btw just bought it....anyways..when i dropped the float bowl the float pin dropped into bowl...is this normal? ...i put it back in place with rubber triangle up, held it in place with screwdriver until float arm held it in and put bowl back on....is this normal ?
Ty all..and thanks for having me

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Supposed to be a little bent to shape SS wire that attaches to the ring in the opposite end of the needle valve and hooks over the thin tab of the float bracket. Purpose is to prevent your problem.

coolkook

Cadet
Ty texasmark...btw love texas..went there last year i wanna live there now..so the inverted ring in bottom of pin should hold the wire that wraps or bends around the float arm its resting on , i beleive is what your saying....2 quick questions
1 am i ok as long as i dont remove bowl..arm will hold pin in place ?
2 or should i manufacture a ss wire clip myself to hold pin to arm ?
Ty mike

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The wire is a "Johnny Come Lately" gadget. Back in the old days it wasn't part of the process. Yes you don't need it if you are careful. The bowl casting, when mounted, keeps the float from dropping too far.