2004 90 Mercury 2 cycle won't run above idle (or at least not much)

JShinlever

Recruit
So if I keep it around 5-10 mph, i'm good, but it hits a clear wall at higher RPM and dies. I can rev it up in neutral, although of course I avoid that.

Back story. It ran great until the middle of last year when my wife ran it out of gas. Then it still started ok and ran decent but would hesitate at higher RPMs. I figured I sucked something up from the tank. The filter just before the carb was clear, so I changed everything in front of it (lines, bulb, etc). It didn't really get any better and thanks to a new baby, I didn't mess with it much.

Fast forward to this season, now it starts and idles fine, but I have NO power. I can putt putt across the lake all day, but anytime I accelerate it dies. as mentioned, I can rev in neutral, but don't do it anymore than a quick test. Plugs look ok, but I changed them again anyway. They were blackish grey with a little oil on them, but running in nothing but idle I figure causes it too not burn away. The fuel filter is still good, but I replaced it anyway. The filter doesn't fill all the way, only about 3/4, is that normal or do I possibly have a pump issue? air leak? Carb problem?

Any help would be appreciated
-Joe