runs out of water, but not in it?!?!

Jgothing

Seaman Apprentice
hi there!
Im super new to the whole boating scene, so dont have much experience working on them, so what ever help i can get would be much appreciated! I have a 94 Sea Ray Sport Jet 90.. and it runs great!! I had to put a new battery and ignition in it to make it run which was no biggie. This past weekend i took the wife and daughter out, and got everything loaded up. Went to fire it up and it wouldnt start....finally after messing with the carb linkage it fired up but ran like garbage. it wouldn't idle on its own with out me holding the linkage.. so 3 hours later after waiting for my turn to load up with the trailer, we pulled it back out of the water...got it all tied up, and for shits a grins i tried to fire it up, and go figure it fired back up and ran like champ...?!? my question is why would it not run in water, but on the trailer? could it have something to do with the impeller? or fuel delivery? i have no clue!! please help!!!

Jgothing

Seaman Apprentice
thanks!. ill double check the spark. but i did install a new switch box..(i did burn up the old one on accident big uh oh) :grumpy:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Was the boat angled on the trailer when you tried to start it and it then it would start when the boat was level?

Jgothing

Seaman Apprentice
the boat was completely off the trailer, and tied up floating level to the dock.

Jgothing

Seaman Apprentice
passed the float test tho, dose not take on water :lol: first time ive had it in the water since i got it.

Jgothing

Seaman Apprentice
i thought the same at first, until it fired back up on the trailer when we pulled it out off the water...

Jgothing

Seaman Apprentice
riddle me this, if the pump. or the impeller are jammed up, could the exhaust just flow past them and still run off the trailer,? but the water blocks it causing it not to run?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
riddle me this, if the pump. or the impeller are jammed up, could the exhaust just flow past them and still run off the trailer,? but the water blocks it causing it not to run?
Nope.

BTW...not sure if you used muffs when you started the boat up on the trailer. If you didn't, you should now change your impeller.

Last edited:

Jgothing

Seaman Apprentice
i did not used muffs, from what i understand this boat has a different set up for the water hose that dosent use muffs?!? or did i miss understand that... being it has a jet drive.., but every time i would start it, it would be for maybe 5 seconds. is that even enough to smoke the impeller? rookie mistake i quess :facepalm:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You may be right about that...missed the part about it being a jet. It may not even have a rubber impeller.

Jgothing

Seaman Apprentice
well i guess ill have to drop the jet drive and take a gander and see whats up. but my ultimate question is can the impeller, or the pump cause the motor not to run in the water if they are bad, and be able to run on the trailer...cuz theres no load on them, aka the water?!?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do you own a service manual? I would be looking in that before you drop anything.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That would be a 3 cylinder " force " powerhead.---If you just bought it then a compression test should be done.

MI_Pirate

Seaman Apprentice
i thought the same at first, until it fired back up on the trailer when we pulled it out off the water...

I think you may have missed the point of his question. If you have some water in the fuel tank, and if the fuel pickup is towards the front of the tank, it might pick up fuel while it is sitting on the trailer (if the bow is raised above level), and pick up water when the boat is floating (and therefore level). You might just want to go ahead and drain the entire tank and replace it with fresh fuel before you knock yourself out troubleshooting. Remember to check the fuel filter(s) for water, too.

Jgothing

Seaman Apprentice
I am goin to order one tonight after work (online PDF download), and take a gander at it and see whats up. and racerone, im going to check the compression on it tomorrow when i bring it to work with me, and ill compare the psi to the service manual. thanks guys:)

Jgothing

Seaman Apprentice
I have also read that some one had that same issue with their jet ski, would run on the trailer and not in the water, they found that their lower jug gasket was bad and the motor was taking on water when launched, not starting.... what is the jug??

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
my ultimate question is can the impeller, or the pump cause the motor not to run in the water if they are bad, and be able to run on the trailer
No as if damaged or locked up the motor would not turn over.The impeller turns with engine running and gate blocks water flow for direction. Sounds like a ignition or carb problem....