1984 115 hp mariner fuel issue

madatu

Seaman Apprentice
this weekend my boat started having fuel issues. at the beginning of the season i replaced the fuel pump gaskets and everything fuel wise worked fine. but this weekend out on the water i couldn't get the motor to start, we had to use the trolling motor to get back to the dock. once i got home i removed the fuel liner going to the fuel pump, fuel came out fine through it. i then removed the out fuel line to the carburetor. i could pump and get fuel to go out towards the carburetor. i left the line off and attempted to crank the motor, no fuel was going through the pump. i took the fuel pump apart to check the rubber gasket. it was not damaged. everything looked normal. can i use a 12 volt fuel pump that is designed for collaborators. 1.5 psi to 4 psi. i took a separate fuel tank and placed it higher that the motor and siphoned it to the carburetor line and the motor ran. the fuel bulb was hard the whole time.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, something is wrong with your fuel pump. Make sure check valves are working and pulse lines are not kinked. Make sure pump has no air leaks in the fuel supply.

An electric pump is a bad idea from a safety standpoint, unless you wire some sort of relay to tell it to turn off if the engine stalls. You would need to sense voltage on the stator and as long as there is voltage, run the fuel pump.