1963 Mercury 350

Hey guys picked up a good condition 35hp merc outboard for cheap. Spark is weak/intermittent. I called the local dealer and said coils and points/condensers are no longer available. Is there anyway I could swap this motor to Thunderbolt ignition? Or just keep it around for parts

racerone

Supreme Mariner
But they are listed as available.---Not cheap.----Should be lots of used ones out there too.--Your location ?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
That uses the Phelon magneto. Likely to find the coils in many places. There's usually some used ones on eBay and I believe new coils are still available.

I'm in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. Would Napa sell these? I can get OMC coils there. How do these coils come off ? Doesn't look like they screw in like an OMC. Thanks have lots of OMC motors but this is my first Mercury

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I believe the coil laminates are riveted to the mag plate. You will need to pull the coil off the laminate. There is a tab that needs to be bent down to allow this. I don't think NAPA sells the coils any longer.

The coils are likely OK if they are not cracked or damaged. The condensers are often the weak point in those magnetos. You may have to get creative with it, though, as the OEM (398-2203) and Sierra (18-5212) versions of that condenser are NLA. Sierra 18-5206 is similarly rated and will fit the hole in the plate, but the mounting bracket is at a right angle. Might be able to make a sleeve for it to fasten it down.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not everything needs to be replaced with new !-----You could clean the points and test for spark.---Then replace the condensers if no success.----Just did a 63 model 6 HP Mercury and got good spark with no money spent.

I gapped them to what the cover said was .20 I think. I briefly cleaned them when they were open, is there a better way to do this? Coils look great with no cracks so maybe it's just bad condensers or I didn't clean the points proper