1986 Mariner 150 intermittent power loss

kakarot

Recruit
I have a 1986 Mariner 150 2 stroke that is acting up. It always starts quick and idles fine but at times it will bog down under acceleration, some times it will accelerate just fine. It has a new fuel pump, carbs just cleaned, tank just cleaned and new fuel filter. Last night I was going across the lake and it was bogging down and without me doing anything (as in moving throttle) the RPM's kicked up instantly it started running at normal RPM's and ran perfect. I have checked and made sure all electrical connections are clean and tight and battery is at full charge. It does not do this every time I take off, just intermittently. Any advice would be appreciated.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
what did the fuel line ball look like while bogging?,,,it 100% sounds like a fuel issue,,,are the smaller line clogged with etrhanol?
Lance

kakarot

Recruit
Yes, just put new on yesterday. took it out today and did some testing and here is what I found, when it is bogging down, pushing in on the key to choke it does not affect the way it runs. Also the primer ball was soft but not collapsed today. It has all the symptoms of starving for fuel. Could a fuel pump issue be intermittent? Today it ran at full power for about 30 seconds then bogged down...idled for 2 minutes and took off fine at full power, went another 30 seconds and bogged down. Cleaned and checked all fuel lines today again just to be sure. Drained all 3 carbs and there was no water in them.

kakarot

Recruit
Found a pretty good leak on one of the fuel pump gaskets this evening, I'm wondering if it isn't also sucking air into the fuel system. Replacing pump kit tomorrow.