Merc 9.8hp popping out of gear under a load

craigman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fellas, ​I have a chance to get a nice running 9.8hp Merc for next to nothing. But has a problem with popping out of gear under a load. I'm thinking it's the clutch dog. Are these still available? If so, where can I buy one?
Thanks for any help!
Craig

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Shouldn't be a problem finding one. Agree with you and while you're at it check the mating surfaces of F gear. I bought a Mercruiser restoration years ago and had the same problem and the problem was where we are discussing. If you can't find one on your own, any full service dealer ought to be able to help you.

I know F gear is heat treated and is really hard. On the Mercruiser It was old and parts scarce and I took it to a machine shop thinking that they could machine the mating surfaces like one would have a saw blade sharpened....same effect, different process. Machinist said no way. Too hard. Too many steps to soften it, do the work and retreat it. Oh, on the cruiser, you can fish F gear and associated parts out past the drive shaft pinion and don't need to bother it. I guess you can do the same on that engine with everything being proportional and all.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Design of clutch dog and forward gear can hardly let it jump out of gear.---Look for other problems such as the prop itself.

craigman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the info fella​s!
Racerone, how would the prop make it pop out of gear under a load?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The rubber hub inside the prop may be slipping.---I have worked on more than one of these motors.----It is not likely a problem with the clutch dog !

craigman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so with the rubber hub slipping, does that cause some kind of endplay problem where that shaft goes in and out? Just trying to understand. I don't know squat about outboards! lol

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Does it bang out of gear or do the rpms just suddenly shoot up. The rubber hub on the prop will not cause endplay problems with the shaft. If the shaft is loose or moves back and forth you could have a bad bearing or gear.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
My Mercruiser had the tips of the "saw blades" worn off from PO's sloppy shifting. I guarantee you it can and did jump out. Maybe jump out is the wrong term. Maybe slipped my not engaging and holding would be a better phrase.

On back and forth movement, there is movement caused by these same gears as the dog rides up and over the peak of the tooth then settles in the slot. Distance varies but it's like ?" give or take on my engines and new ones sitting at dealerships on new boats ready to sell that I checked just to ensure that mine was about right and not too much.

On the rubber hub slipping, once it breaks free, you have to cut the throttle and let it reengage. I had one prop (Turning Point Hustler) with a removable hub and looking at how that hub was built, brass star and plastic filler, seemed to me that it was a one time event. You smack something and if it didn't hold, it would shear and not reset like rubber does. What chapps me about the new hubs is that they are no better in that regard than the old days when OMC had the drive pins and every time you were in trouble and really needed some thrust, the damn thing would break (shear, hence the term shear pin) and you were without power........on the windward side of rip rap (where the fish feed) on a big body of water.................

All the above personal experiences and I feel that I understand the process!