Simple fix but need help, shift rod in wrong hole..

StevenV

Cadet
I have a 1989 mercury 115 i just bought but wouldn't shift. What the lower unit bolts to has two holes, the outer one I believe is for a water line or something and the inside one is for the shift rod. Well the shift rod is in the outer one and dosent line up with the connection in the lower unit. So my question is how do I get the rod in the correct place? Do i have to drop the whole bottom half of the motor?? Any help will be great and thank you.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Don't know which engine you are talking about, the I6 or I3 cylinder.....they changed engines right there. I bought a 1989 115 tower new in 1989 and guys on here said that in 1989 the engines were new designed 3 cylinder loopers. Well maybe so, maybe mine was a left over 88, I don't know but the title said 89.

I am going to bet you have to drop the LU or pop the power head as the rod has no place to move, even more than an inch or two, if that. I'd take the LU and while there check your water pump (impeller) and service your LU oil and all while at it. Both engines would have the same problem.

HTH

StevenV

Cadet
It's a 4 cylinder, SN#0C228188. Looking things over I have to drop down the mid section about 1.25 inches to move the rod over. I have the repair manual but I'm not finding any how to section on it?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post pictures with the lower unit off.------Something does not add up here.

StevenV

Cadet
It wont let me upload a pic from my desktop. At the base of the housing where the shift rod passes thru the housing there are two holes and whom ever did the work before simply didnt line up the shift rod with the lower unit. The shift rod sticks out below the housing about an inch, so some how I have to drop the housing down to lift the rod out of one hole and into the other. But looking at the motor it dosnt look like an easy thing to do.(dropping the housing/mid section of motor)

StevenV

Cadet
No Title

Alright got the pic, this is with the lower unit off looking up.

Attachments

• photo244895.png
    photo244895.png
    888.4 KB · Views: 0

StevenV

Cadet
https://goo.gl/photos/vf1nKD4v5VcmtyNU9
(I dont know if this link will work)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Does this motor have tilt and trim? I believe that is the reverse lock shaft for a manual tilt motor.

StevenV

Cadet
Ok sorry about the bad pic before this should be better. And yes it has power tilt and that is the shifting rod in the pic. Behind the bolt closest to the camera is the connection for the rod to the lower unit.

StevenV

Cadet
Just another pic. So how do I get the rod into the correct hole? The top of the rod looks like the lever going to the cable is pressed or welded on so I cant pull the rod thru and slide it back into the correct place.

StevenV

Cadet
This is the top of the shift rod, can someone tell me if this can be taken apart?

StevenV

Cadet
If the shift rod cant be taken apart I could really use some help on what to do. Thank you
Once I figure this out cant wait to go fishing, It's not a big expensive boat but its my first bass boat. Up graded from a john boat I had decked out for fishing.