Mercury 39 water pumping troubles

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an old mercury 39 that I have been fixin up for my wifes Jon Boat. I rebuilt the whole bottom end on the thing. New water pump and all. Put it in the water tank... When turning it over with a drill, it pumps water, when it starts, it stops pumping water. I have the flush plug out, this is where I am checking for water flow. I can't find a pee hole anywhere on this motor. I don't think it has one, if it does, someone please tell me where. And, I did wd40 the cylinder real good before turning it over with a drill. That was the only way I could figure out how to start it, without the cowl on it. I have video of it, if I can figure out how to put it on here.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, I guess the video is the wrong format. I'll try to figure out how to convert it. But, I forgot to mention. I checked the temp with my ir thermometer, and it got up to 155 on the plate on the side of the cylinder. I think its the water jacket plate. I don't really know what these should run at, if someone could tell me that, it would be helpful also.

merc850

Commander
The flush plug should be in when the motor is running, the tell-tale should be at the rear port side bottom cowl of the motor and should spray out of those relief holes at the back. The exhaust plate should be warm to the touch not hot!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When you answer questions you get help.-----Did this motor suffer from severe overheat ?----What was condition of the old impeller ?----Any vanes missing ?

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
When you answer questions you get help.-----Did this motor suffer from severe overheat ?----What was condition of the old impeller ?----Any vanes missing ?

No overheating that I could tell. Compression was good, and I looked into the cylinder the best I could. Didn't see any scars. Old impellar was just old. All there, just mainly changed it because I was already in there. I generally change them every season anyway.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
The flush plug should be in when the motor is running, the tell-tale should be at the rear port side bottom cowl of the motor and should spray out of those relief holes at the back. The exhaust plate should be warm to the touch not hot!
I'll look for the pee hole. Only reason I had the flush plug out, is to verify water flow. I had it running before, with the plug in, no water squirtin out of a pee hole. I did have the exaust housing all the way off, I replaced the rubbers and the seat on the water tube at the top of the housing. I also replaced both gaskets at the power head to cowl, and cowl to exaust housing. I pushed air through all the water ports that I knew of while I had it apart. There should be no blockages. I just don't understand why it would pump, when driving it with a drill, then stop once the motor takes over? Make no sense to me? But, I'm no expert, just a do it yourselfer.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
And, I might add. I don't know much about this motor. A buddy gave it to me, to fix up for her. It hasn't ran, in god knows when. All info, is what I have tested and collected.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there a way to put a video on here? I think that would show you exactly what it is doing.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Flush Plug Reinstalled. Still don't see a phole on this side. Started the motor. No water or nothing comin out of the big hole in the back? I looked at some online video's of motors like this. They have a phole? Why am I not finding one?

Attachments

• photo244845.jpg
    photo244845.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244846.jpg
    photo244846.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244847.jpg
    photo244847.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
P hole is actually a hose to the lower cowl on the starboard side

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
P hole is actually a hose to the lower cowl on the starboard side
I see no hose? I did find a little tiny hole, that I am guessing is the pee hole? Its only about 1/16 in diameter? It was plugged with silicone, I ran a drill bit up into it to unclog. Not with a drill! LOL with my fingers. Water tries to trickle out of it, but still no pee?

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I think this was the pee hole? I unplugged it, it trickles from time to time. But, no pressure worth noting? It had silicone in it, from me replacing the gasket, I would guess? Oops! But, it still aint getting much water for some reason?

Attachments

• photo244855.jpg
    photo244855.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that is port side. Starboard is right side

what year is the motor? some of the really early motors didnt have a pee hole.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
that is port side. Starboard is right side

what year is the motor? some of the really early motors didnt have a pee hole.
I want to say its a 65 model. There where to serial number ranges to order part for, mine was the later serial number range.