Is full synthetic oil best?

sbruce03

Recruit
I have a 97 model mercury force 75hp 2-stroke outboard and i am wondering what is the best oil to use? it is on a 20 foot starcraft pontoon boat

thank you all for any help or insight you can give me

jwall116

Petty Officer 3rd Class
With a force engine, you will find Pennzoil premium plus or XLF as the best bang for your buck and cleanest option. Don't waste the $$ on fully synthetic, it will still smoke and will empty some pockets at 50:1.

If you dont have an academy near you walmart should carry this oil as well. Or You can also order online with free shipping

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pennzoil-marine-xlf-syn-blend-tc-w3-oil?repChildCatid=10736

Wally worlds super tech is fine as well, but will result in carbon over the pennz. Personally I would rather pay a few extra bucks and run a well known and respected brand with more additives.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The above is one man's opinion. I use both the Wallyworld and the Penns XLF, and find little difference except price.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Only you can decide if you want to spend more on synthetic or not, is it better I do not know. At 50-1 you are using the same amount of oil, synthetic or standard. Carbon is less of an issue now than it was because fuel and oil are formulated to reduce carbon build up. Both types of oil will protect your motor as your motor basic design started out in the 60s and has been using regular oil ever since and do okay. Years ago Bass and Walleye Boats did an article on synthetic oils they concluded that the Wally world oil did every bit as good as the name brand oils. If you want the full advantage of a synthetic look at Amsoil Pre-mix 100-1 or similar oil 1/2 the oil and less smoke. I personally have used the Amsoil and have had excellent results with it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I do not recommend fuel mixes higher than 50::1. Amsoil will not fix your motor, if you ruin it with insufficient lubrication.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I do not recommend fuel mixes higher than 50::1. Amsoil will not fix your motor, if you ruin it with insufficient lubrication.

Amsoil will stand behind their oil. 100-1 just scares some people they can't understand how it works. When I ran it in my 1979 70 hp evinrude we skied and tubed behind that boat with no issues at all. That boat worked hard and never missed a beat so it is a viable option.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you read the Amsoil warranty, (https://www.amsoil.com/shopres/warranty/amsoil-warranty-lubricants.pdf) they will cover any engine damage if their oil is defective. They will not cover any engine damage if the engine has an OEM defect, or the oil was used incorrectly, was an aircraft, used in racing or several other disclaimers.

So, if your engine fails and they deem their oil was not defective, their warranty allows them to (MO) decide if they WANT to repair your engine. Call me cynical, but I don't see them paying.....

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If you read the Amsoil warranty, (https://www.amsoil.com/shopres/warranty/amsoil-warranty-lubricants.pdf) they will cover any engine damage if their oil is defective. They will not cover any engine damage if the engine has an OEM defect, or the oil was used incorrectly, was an aircraft, used in racing or several other disclaimers.

So, if your engine fails and they deem their oil was not defective, their warranty allows them to (MO) decide if they WANT to repair your engine. Call me cynical, but I don't see them paying.....

That's everbodies warranty that is not specific to amsoil. It says right there they will cover damage if the oil is defective. On the back of the bottle it has specific instructions for racing. Look at the warranty of the oil you are using now whatever it is and tell me it's different. If twice as much oil is better all engines would still run 24-1. I am not a dealer nor was I ever one.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Scott, you are missing the point. The warranty's may read the same, but the required conditions are different.

i.e. Motor OEMs recommend 50::1 gas/oil mix using a TCW-III rated oil, and base their warranty on that fuel. So OEMs ask for a specific oil at a specific ratio. Have you seen them recommend Amsoil at 100::1?

Amsoil recommends 100::1 gas/oil mix with a non TCW-III approved oil. They warrant that their oil will not be defective, but have written the warranty such that if their oil is non-defective (very likely), and your engine fails, and the OEM won't fix it (very bloody likely), they may choose to fix it, or not choose to fix it.

You may obviously run your motor anyway you want, as you accept the risks. However, a lot of people depend on the advice in this forum, and to advise folks to run non-recommended fuel ratios and/or non-approved oil is irresponsible, IMHO.