Vintage outboard mechanics

DeepCMark58A

Commander
So I need a new drive shaft in my 1960 Mercury 400. I have the driveshaft but after looking at the manual and the probability of me getting it right I would rather pay an experienced individual to do it correctly. Problem is no modern shop will touch a motor from 1960. I am willing and able to ship the lower unit to have the work done. Anyone have any suggestions for a reputable mechanic?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Put an ad up on the AOMCI website find someone in your area or recommended. http://www.johnsmcintoshvintagemercuryoutboard.com/ you can try him he may do it or know somebody. I know he likes the the dockbusters and the A motors puts him in your time period. Doing it yourself should not be that hard you shouldn't have to res-him because it's only the driveshaft.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
According to the manual the prop shaft has to be removed and the shims were mentioned, that is what really influenced my decision to hire a pro. Thanks for the suggestion and I need to sign up with AOMCI

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well it has been a saga and a learning lesson. I supplied the shaft for replacement and there was a problem with the shaft and the fit in the needle bearing inside the lower unit. So the shaft was mailed back and I had the shop at work look at what the fit issue was. Put the micrometer on it and it was just a couple thousands off but when we chucked it up on the lathe you shaft was a little out of round. Trued that up and the shaft fits like a glove. Slowly but surely it will be done.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Funny the rebuilt vintage motor that I bought for $500 is now a $1400 motor, should be bullet proof now. New starter, rebuilt lower unit, 2 props in like new shape, new drive shaft, water pump impeller.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
It's not about the money with old motors. I have a beautiful 1987 25 hp merc low hrs it's low hrs because I run my 16 hp scott more. When I go to the boat landing with my merc there will be 3 other similar motors there. When I run my Scott It is the only one there and people look at me like I'm crazy then they always want to talk about it and comment. That's what it's about anybody can open up there wallet and buy new takes special crazy to run old.
I am glad it worked out for you
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT