1983 Mercury 9.8 - worn idle screw and venturi replacement question

quik912

Cadet
Greetings, I just recently purchased a 1983 Mercury 9.8 (Canadian, sn# 7207301) and, while it ran in a barrel before I purchased, I cannot get it started. Purchased a complete carb rebuild kit (Merc/Quicksilver 1395-9026) for the Walbro 1 carburetor and took it all apart. For the most part everything looks good after a good cleaning; however, I a few things concern me.

1) The idle screw (not inlet needle) appears to be worn based on the picture provided in the Seloc manual (tip is not evenly tapered to a point), however, it almost looks as if this particular screw was made differently (or more likely it wore very evenly so as to appear intentionally tapered like it is). I'll try to post a picture below. If mine is, in fact, worn and not serviceable, can anyone recommend where I may find a replacement? I've checked ebay, etc, with no luck as of yet.

2) Do all of these carbs have an idle tube? Mine did not contain one beneath the screw (which had some of that dark red locktight on it). Additionally the interior walls of the cylinder where this tube should fit do not have threads which to screw the tube into. Makes me think that mine didn't come with one. Hoping someone can confirm this for me.

3) Lastly, the venturi had a broken arm and I'm trying to figure out how to fit a replacement inside without breaking an arm. Any tips/tricks?

Thanks so much for any assistance y'all can lend. Really appreciate the expertise that I've read on this site.

Mark IMG_8343.PNG

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the broken venturi is common. I molded a new one out of epoxy. its a NLA part, and I did find one after the fact.

you may be best served looking on Ebay or CL for a spare carb

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Thye needle does not look worn at all.----Remove the main nozzle to install the boost venturi.

quik912

Cadet
Thanks racerone, I looked to see how I could remove the main nozzle, or at least unscrew it enough to slip the venturi on and then tighten up but don't see where/how to remove it. Do you have any advice? I don't see where the relic manual mentions how to remove it.

quik912

Cadet
Just to follow up, got the venturi installed by clipping just a tiny bit of one of the arms so I could fit it in. Motor's running very well now (at least in the barrel). I think the Canadian version of the 9.8 idle screw is supposed to look like mine does and not evenly tapered as the manual indicates (which I presume is based off the US version motors). Perhaps this will help anyone in the future who has a Canadian 9.8 and is wondering the same thing. Thanks again for y'all's help.