1983 V-150 Remote Control to Engine Wire Harness Extension

jdaghir

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking for an extension for the remote control to engine wire harness for a 1983 v-150, s/n 6313170 with a Quicksilver Commander side-mount remote control. The existing wire harness just barely fits and is routed in such a way that it is certain that the insulation will get worn through and short out. The current harness is about 15' long and I need more length to re-route it.

I believe the original part number for the wire harness is 84-87850A, while CDI 474-9560 is an aftermarket harness, but I would rather not go to the effort and expense of replacing the entire harness is there is an extension for it.

I found the following wire harness extension: 84-812441A9, but that is a 9 pin harness, with three large pins and several smaller pins.

The existing harness is a 8 pin connection, with all the pins the same size. I believe it is also called a cannon plug connection.

Does anyone know if there exists a 8 pin, cannon plug wire harness extension?

Thanks!

Last edited:

jdaghir

Seaman Apprentice
I haven't actually contacted them, but I wasn't able to find a harness extension in the online parts catalog. I would think they would just direct me to a dealer, who would then find nothing in the online parts catalog, as I did, and then try to sell me a newer engine, but maybe it?s worth a shot.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I don't expect you to fine one but they should be able to provide you with one long enough. They sell parts direct at retail prices so as to not compete with their dealer network.....right Faztbullet?

Dukedog

Captain
does yours have tha "external" t & t control, temp gauge, trim gauge wires on tha male end?... if it doesn't have those, there is one on ebay under Mercury Ignition Wiring Harness Extension ... "a short extension" will be very hard ta find if it has those external wires!

Last edited:

jdaghir

Seaman Apprentice
No, the tilt & trim controls are in a completely separate harness. I see the one on Ebay you are referring to. Although the description says 8 pin harness, I can't see the plug ends well enough to be certain it really is a 8 pin. I sent the seller a request for close up photo of the ends about a week ago, but never received a response. I'm going to take a chance and buy it. If it's not the correct one I'll toss it back up on Ebay and contact Mercury Marine Parts.