what is this gray sludge dripping out thru lower unit housing ?

jimmoe

Seaman Apprentice
Hi ya'll !
I picked up a '77 50hp merc that was supposed to be good but turns out to have lot's of issues.I'm don't know much about outboards, especially Merc's.
The main concern is (what I think is) the few ounces off water and oil sludge that drips out the lower unit after having run on the muff even for a short time.
Compression top to bottom is *80, 105, 103, *50. The water pump worked for a few minutes, then quit. The lower unit was full of fine sand. After cleaning it up and a new impeller and gaskets it pumps good and clean. It smokes a little. I'm thinking it was driven into the sand, overheated and maybe cracked the block or something to allow water into the cylinders to mix with unburned oil&gas, coats the exhaust system and runs out after the engine stops. I'm hoping one of you knows more precisely what this is or could be and what it might take to fix it.

Also (Maybe this should be a new topic but...?)
It has a starter problem, it starts but the Bendix gear likes to drop down and disengage from the flywheel too soon...like immediately after one cylinder seems to fire. The Bendix gear will engage fully up into the flywheel gear but is worn badly for the top 1/4 inch of the teeth. After several repeats it has at times worked well enough to start. It look like the original starter, can't see a part number but has what looks like a date stamp on it ( 09 14 77). It has the spring on top of the gear.
What I'd like to know is can I buy JUST THAT GEAR instead of a whole new starter ? I couldn't find it anywhere on line.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My biggest concern would be the compression readings. The top and bottom cylinders are way too low. The sludge is normal on a 2 stroke, but it may be excessive because of the low compression and all 4 holes aren't firing.

I think, not 100% sure, you can get a new bendix. We need the serial number of the motor to figure out which parts you need.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove the bypass covers on the starboard side of the motor.------Have a look at the pistons and rings.----The compression values are not encouraging.