Is this even rebuildable?

BraxtonsPops

Cadet
Hello, I have recently encountered the results of what happens when you let your engine overheat. I got caught up in some grass, muddy water, and snagged a ski rope. Long story short the engine blew. I have been looking pretty hard for an engine that I could replace it with. But it seems rebuilding may be the easier and cheaper option. I'm just not sure if this engine is even save-able. I'll post pics to show the damage. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is rebuildable? The motor is a 60 hp mercury elpto. Thanks!

Last pic shows what condition the other cylinders are in.

Attachments

• TPMLLOb.jpg
    TPMLLOb.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 0
  • k9W6Mvy.jpg
    k9W6Mvy.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 0
  • cXs46V3.jpg
    cXs46V3.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 0
  • MeyIlW7.jpg
    MeyIlW7.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 0

BraxtonsPops

Cadet
Well i knew i had a weak water pump. And everything was running just fine until i got into that stuff. So i assumed that was enough to let it overheat. I considered a lean condition as well though. Regardless it happened and i have to figure this out.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Yes its repairable. These models are bad about sleeves moving if overheated or lugged. The sleeve walks backwards and top ring falls behind sleeve. When I fix thes I heat the block and tap all sleeves down to ensure they are bottomed out and then dril and pin them in place.

BraxtonsPops

Cadet
That's interesting. If i do recall correctly. The motor was locked however it would turn maybe a 1/4 turn each direction. I guess when i was trying to get it to turn over again i shattered the piston. User error?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I would be looking very carefully at the center carb

When an engine fails from water starvation, it is usually the top cylinder that grenades first

Last edited:

BraxtonsPops

Cadet
Sorry guys i forgot to follow up on the post. I had a mechanic look at the engine and he said the motor was not in good shape and wouldn't be worth rebuilding the block just to have the other parts wear out shortly after. I have since bought an almost identical motor is much MUCH better shape and slightly newer. Enjoying fishing out on the water just like before. Thanks for the input.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for the follow up, BP. It was probably less $$$ finding a replacement.