Year of Carbed Merc 3.0L 225hp Outboard

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Recently bought 20' Grady CC with a carbed Mercury 3.0L 225hp engine. Previous owner doesn't recall engine year, and tag serial number is unreadable. Like to know what year era, and model of engine so I can get repair manual, plus future parts. I'm posting a couple pics and hopefully someone can help me determine what I have. Engine hood has been repainted, and decals replaced, so not sure if they are how engine was original. There is a 2002 "repower" tag on top of power head also. Thanks, Mike.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Since you have a repower tag, use the serial number, which ID's Mercs. Serial numbers are the best way to find part. manuals, etc. Even if it wasn't repowered, the SN is the thing to use.

Somewhere on the top of the motor is a welch plug with a stamped serial number of the motor.

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since you have a repower tag, use the serial number, which ID's Mercs. Serial numbers are the best way to find part. manuals, etc. Even if it wasn't repowered, the SN is the thing to use.

Somewhere on the top of the motor is a welch plug with a stamped serial number of the motor.

Thanks GaBoater. Appreciate the help.

Fun Times

Staff member
The following link should help give you a visual of what to look for on your engine while bearing in mind the stamped welch plug could be in just about any location other than the area you're about to see as they tend to move the stamped serial number around from engine model to engine model... https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/mar...-number-number

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The following link should help give you a visual of what to look for on your engine while bearing in mind the stamped welch plug could be in just about any location other than the area you're about to see as they tend to move the stamped serial number around from engine model to engine model... https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/mar...-number-number

Thanks FunTimes, I'll check that link. My problem is that I have a 2002 Quicksilver remanned power head with a tag, but that really doesn't tell me the original outboard year or serial number group, which I need for all parts other than power head internal parts. From what I can find, there are two groups of serial numbers for carbed 225 engines. One group for mid-90s, and the other for late-90s/early 2000s, and although engines look similar, there are different parts numbers I've seen. Hopefully the link you have provided will help me zoom in to the right group my engine is in. Thanks again, Mike

Fun Times

Staff member
Then lets find your other parts a different way for you.:)

Looking up the ECU part number 825753 2 in your photo above led me to an engine year range between 1994 Model # 1225412PD ELECTRICAL (S-N:0G129222 - 0G303045 NON SEAPRO-MARATHON) and as high as 1998 Model # 7225438GF ELECTRICAL(S-N:0G129222-0G303045 NON SEAPRO-MARATHON) As that is basically all the ECU number is designed to be used on engine wise from new.

So with knowing that the ECU should still be original and the highest serial number range used for that part number is 0G303045, plus the year on your engine starter looks like it says the date made was 10/1/1994? Then when you look at some of the serial number ranges found inside Mercury parts catalog part number 90-824403 96 that the ECU is found under....And you also see some serial number ranges such as ANCHOR BRACKET(ALL MODELS) (S-N-0G303046 & UP) And ANCHOR BRACKET(NON SEAPRO-MARATHON) (S-N-0G303045 & BELOW) your engine serial number range for other component match ups should be 045 and Below...< is the key word.

TRANSOM BRACKETS(S-N-0G589999 AND BELOW)
TRANSOM BRACKETS(S-N-0G590000 AND UP)

All the links above are going to be invalid as they are from a competitor of iboats.... They just made it easier for me to track down something you could use for a parts guide is all. So again, knowing your parts catalog part number from using the ECU part number, here is one working parts catalog for you to use on everything but the power head, http://www.mercruiserparts.com/225-3-0l-carb-0d280813-thru-0g760299

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Then lets find your other parts a different way for you.:)

Looking up the ECU part number 825753 2 in your photo above led me to an engine year range between 1994 Model # 1225412PD ELECTRICAL (S-N:0G129222 - 0G303045 NON SEAPRO-MARATHON) and as high as 1998 Model # 7225438GF ELECTRICAL(S-N:0G129222-0G303045 NON SEAPRO-MARATHON) As that is basically all the ECU number is designed to be used on engine wise from new.

So with knowing that the ECU should still be original and the highest serial number range used for that part number is 0G303045, plus the year on your engine starter looks like it says the date made was 10/1/1994? Then when you look at some of the serial number ranges found inside Mercury parts catalog part number 90-824403 96 that the ECU is found under....And you also see some serial number ranges such as ANCHOR BRACKET(ALL MODELS) (S-N-0G303046 & UP) And ANCHOR BRACKET(NON SEAPRO-MARATHON) (S-N-0G303045 & BELOW) your engine serial number range for other component match ups should be 045 and Below...< is the key word.

TRANSOM BRACKETS(S-N-0G589999 AND BELOW)
TRANSOM BRACKETS(S-N-0G590000 AND UP)

All the links above are going to be invalid as they are from a competitor of iboats.... They just made it easier for me to track down something you could use for a parts guide is all. So again, knowing your parts catalog part number from using the ECU part number, here is one working parts catalog for you to use on everything but the power head, http://www.mercruiserparts.com/225-3-0l-carb-0d280813-thru-0g760299

FunTimes, you're great! Thank you for taking the time to research this for me. This info is just what I needed! Thanks again! Mike