Dropping the lower unit on a 1961 Mercury 400

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Did my research to change out the impeller and started in what I found was different than what I have seen diagrammed. There were two nuts of the sides and a bolt going up the middle. I discovered another fluted bolt up in the exhaust. Weird thing is it isn't a normal bolt it has some kind of weird torx kind of head. Anybody know what the pattern is called and the size, I can not find this style of bolt in any diagram.

Attachments

• photo244214.jpg
    photo244214.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On my white Mercury motors that has been an allen head screw.-----5/16" is the size if I recall.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Drill the head off or weld a nut on it.---Should be an easy thing to solve this " problem "

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Drill the head off or weld a nut on it.---Should be an easy thing to solve this " problem "

No reason to drill it out, or weld anything, just wondered if this was a possible mercury piece of hardware to see if the size was known to accurately purchase the proper tool.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The original allen head bolts were not stainless and have been known to corrode. It looks like someone replaced it with a 12-point head bolt. Find the correct socket and wrench it on outta there. If I had to guess, it would be 7/16"

DeepCMark58A

Commander
The original allen head bolts were not stainless and have been known to corrode. It looks like someone replaced it with a 12-point head bolt. Find the correct socket and wrench it on outta there. If I had to guess, it would be 7/16"

Funny how well the right tool for the job works so well. Then again I should have known things went to well. I dropped the lower unit and discovered the splines on the upper shaft are a little boggered up.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Decision time do I try to find a new shaft or a lower unit? makes me wonder what the receiving end of that shaft looks like.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I did finally manage to find a "new" used drive shaft that appears to be in pretty good condition, good compared to some of the others that were available.