1979 Mariner 90hp Inline 6 - No Start, no fuel

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, to set float height. make sure the little spring on top of the floats is intact. Invert carb cover, with levers facing up. Top lever should be parallel to carb cover. If not, bend lower lever to make it parallel. Now turn carb cover right side up. Measure between carb levers. Distance should be 1/4". Bend lower lever until distance is correct.

rcwannab

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the information and instructions. I took the carbs off again to inspect and adjust as instructed. The main issue on the bottom carb was two seats stuck together! I removed one and adjusted the float height. I did the same adjustments to the middle and top carbs as well. Once I got it put back together I was able to turn it over, start and briefly idle. However the top carb still pumps fuel out the back drag jet. I took the top off the bowl and looks like needle is sticking. I've tried three different times now, but that one needle seems to stick. Any suggestions why new needle/seat is sticking???

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The newer inlet needles are stainless steel with neopreme on tip. Seat should be all brass. Older inlet needles were nylon and maybe the alcohol could soften them to allow them to stick. You have the newer style right? You alos have white hard plastic floats, right?

​If so, just make sure inlet needles and seats are clean and they shouldn't stick.

rcwannab

Seaman Apprentice
The needles are stainless with neoprene tips. The seats are all brass and the floats are hard black.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, I never saw hard black floats, but I haven't bought parts for that motor is a decade. Hard plastic was the latest, versus the originals which were foam.

​Not sure what to recommend on the inltneedle sticking and the top carb flooding. After rebuilding the carbs with gaskets, inlet needles and seats and floats, I never had an issue, like you describe.

rcwannab

Seaman Apprentice
Torn down the top carb again. Soaked and blew everything. Checked float height. Reassembled. Pump the fuel bulb until just stiff. Fuel shot out top carb back drag jet. Turned key and fired up, but streaming fuel out the back drag jet while idling. Shut it down, opened up and needle was sticking. Just ordered another needle/seat kit. Hopefully that will solve it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, one more thought. Some of the inlet needle seats needed copper gaskets under them. Maybe you have one of those?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My 1984 115 had the white plastic floats. Damn things would get stuck and the carb would flood. I did get pretty good at removing the tops of the carbs while still on the engine without disconnecting the fuel lines.

rcwannab

Seaman Apprentice
Yes. This one does have the copper gaskets under the seats. Those have been replaced with new copper gaskets included in kit.

New kit should here Monday. I'll try again with another new set of parts.

rcwannab

Seaman Apprentice
Installed new needle, seat and copper washer in top carb. I primed with bulb until firm - no fuel squinted out the jet this time. I turned they key and cranked a bit with choke and high idle. She fired up and idledown pretty good with no fuel squirting out the carb jets. Problem solved. Thanks to all the input.

Now on to link & synch and water pump rebuild.

rcwannab

Seaman Apprentice
Argh!! Had to step away from motor for a couple weeks and it has been sitting in my garage since the successful running. I tried to start again yesterday after pumping bulb, high idling and choking and it just crank and not fire like it wasn't getting gas. Took the carbs apart and they have a very slight gel/goo in the Jets. They are all soaking again for the sixth time... any ideas?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is there a built in tank in the boat ?-------------Get rid of all old fuel.---------Buy new fuel with no ethanol.

rcwannab

Seaman Apprentice
The 24 gallon tank was removed, cleaned and is sitting empty on the garage floor until I get the engine running. The gas being used is fresh non-ethanol 50:1 mix with stabilizer contsined in a new two gallon gas can.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
You still have old fuel in the fuel lines and pump.

Remove fuel line at carburetor junction and squeeze bulb until fresh fuel runs out at carb junction.

rcwannab

Seaman Apprentice
Thabks for the input and suggestions. I should have added that before I even initially began the carb work I replaced the fuel line, primer bulb and connector to engine as well as rebuilt the fuel pump and replaced the lines from fuel pump to each carb. I know they do not contain any old fuel.