Oil system operation, 89 V6 150HP Mercury

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1989 Mercury 150HP V6, 2 years ago it was removed from boat in order to make major repairs to rotten wood/transom etc. Prior to putting the engine on stand, I drain carbs, and fogged cylinders. I have recently finished all repairs to boat and reinstalled engine. I have always been concerned as to the oil system operating properly, so to be safe this time I have used gasoline that was premixed 50:1. and I filled both oil tanks. Just to see what was happening, I replaced the clear hose from oil reservoir to oil pump and the hose from pump to fuel line tee. When I start the engine, the warning alarm goes off, so I am assuming the oil pump is operating properly. The clear hose from reservoir to pump filled with oil, however, the clear hose from pump to tee isn't completely filled with oil, it looks as if the pump only pumps a small amount of oil as the engine is running. I am not concerned about running the engine since I am using premixed fuel. I figured that 50:1 would mean the pump would pump one drop for every 50 drops of fuel....1 ounce for every 50 ounces...etc. Maybe be over simplifying that statement, but I think the idea is clear. Question: Is the oil system operating within specs or should I consider a new oil pump? Thanks to all on this forum...invaluable information always.
Dan

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??--Is the oil pump turning ?----Do you know that there is a procedure to check oil pump output ?---What if you install a new pump and the plastic gear on the crank is stripped out ?-----Time for some looking and inspection I would say.

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Racerone, I guess I should have been more elaborate in my information. The gear on the crank is fine. The pump gear is in mesh with the crank gear, and all indication is the pump is turning. As an "old" auto mechanic, I know just because oil pump is turn, doesn't mean there is enough oil flow. No, I have not done the flow procedure shown in the manual. Probably should do that first instead of asking further questions. All alarms are silent when engine is cranked, and as I stated the oil is flowing to the fuel line T, just wasn't sure if it was enough. Thanks Racerone for the input, will attempt to check the flow volume.

JDusza

Ensign
I'm just finishing a rebuild because of that plastic worm gear. One cylinder totally toasted and the other 5 at different stages of being on their way out. Incredible that this plastic worm gear made it into service. I'm convinced Mercury took a bath on this auto-oilier design. C'mon, plastic in the crankcase. .
My advice, disable the oil injection and premix your fuel. Then you know what you have.
J

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks JDusza. I did a complete rebuild on this motor about 4 years ago, burnt #3 piston. I agree about the plastic gear on crank. I have thought about doing away with the oil injection system, but then I am not sure that I can find premix everywhere, and I sure don't like the idea of dragging quarts of oil with me either. This motor doesn't get the greatest fuel "mileage." :grumpy: I figure if the oil injection system is working properly and the "alarms" are working properly, and I pay attention I should be OK. Sometimes I just don't know.:facepalm: I saw an article sometime back on the forum about doing away with the system, will look for it again I guess. Thanks again.