shift cable binding controls

davidwjacob

Cadet
Hello,

I have a 1974 85 merc OB on a 74 16 foot starcraft. The cables were replaced last year. the boat was only used maybe 3 hours on the water last fall before stored for winter.

today i was getting it ready for spring. and the control cables when motor put in reverse , the controls will only come back to about 2 oclock position then will not go back to 12 oclock. i was taking the controls apart (mercontrol) and thought it was all binding up , but i couldnt find a problem. when i unhooked the cable from the shift linkage on the motor , the controls free up. i can move the shift linkage with my hand, but going in and out of reverse is stiff on the linkage and i think that is causing my problem.

anyone else exp this problem. dont really know what to do.

thanks
Dave

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
So the shift linkage on the motor is binding? If that is the case, try loosening the bolt that holds the aluminum "peanut" over the shift cable end. Maybe the shift slider is binding in the slide?

davidwjacob

Cadet
So the shift linkage on the motor is binding? If that is the case, try loosening the bolt that holds the aluminum "peanut" over the shift cable end. Maybe the shift slider is binding in the slide?

maybe binding is not the correct word, its stiff, it shifts, but if i move the linkage from neutral to forward, its smooth, when going to reverse it goes, but there is resistance. this is very hard to describe, im sorry if im not being clear.

thank you
Dave

merc850

Commander
Do not shift motor into reverse without it running or, if not running turn the prop while shifting - you can damage parts otherwise.