Trigger Replacement mid 80's Mercury 50hp

xxtavixx

Cadet
Hello all!

I finally made a membership, I've been a serious lurker for a bit and rather heavy handed at it this last week or two as I have been running down gremlins.

I've been resurrecting a 1967 Bonito Tri-hull that had sat for god knows how long (at least 25 years). In the end, she hit the water Monday and it was a beautiful sight. The motor that I put on is a rebuilt Mercury 50hp from the mid 80s, and I had not run in 6 years (I had it on another boat that needed a complete rebuild and just was not that nice). It only took about 90 minutes to get her running, which was mostly me trying to figure out fuel delivery (check valve went bad and so did the fuel bulb AND one of the fittings was sucking air like crazy). All in all, she ran for a few hours on the water on Monday with no incident.

The motor was still using a lot of original parts so I've been trying to find any bad wires. Once I got back and was doing a once-over. I found that the wires going from my stator to the rectifier were completely ruined (also explaining why my tach was not working), so I got an aftermarket unit since it was not likely to be repairable.

After I installed everything I noticed that one of the wires going from the trigger to the switch box was pretty worn. As soon as I touched it, it broke in two. I cut back the wire a bit and managed to put a butt-crimp on it. It's not in a spot I can solder it as-is, but that is one of the things I will do once I get the opportunity.

I've come up with a few questions and I was not able to find the answers tidily laid out like I was hoping...

1 - is it OK to leave a butt crimp on it for a bit? I put shrink wrap on it and then put a wire loom on it to help protect the rest of the wires. The rest are OK looking, but I imagine they have some internal corrosion based off my cutting the wire back on the one wire. If I leave the butt-crimp on it would I be OK to run it? I don't really see it pushing a lot of current, more just a signal. I really wanted to get the boat wet again and show the wife what I've been spending so much money and free time on.

2 - the trigger assembly is part number 96452a4 - it's not super expensive. I am debating replacing the unit just to be done with it and know the wires are good going forward. I just had the stator off, so I remember looking at the trigger assembly so I can easily get to the trigger - but I have something in the back of my head warning me that there is something I need to be very careful about regarding the trigger replacement.

I know to mark everything and line it up for re-installing but I cannot put my finger on what is bothering me with the trigger. Should I be pro-active and replace it? Should I just leave it as is and eventually solder it?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 0

merc850

Commander
Do you run the boat in salt water? if so I'd replace the trigger and get a can of Mercury's Corrosion Guard spray to treat the wires and fittings and use this guide for further protection of the motor; salt water's a killer. Lube-intervalssmall.jpg

xxtavixx

Cadet
Since I took the stater off and the rectifier I have not run in the water yet. I went ahead and ordered a new trigger and I will end up putting corrosion resistance or at least dielectric grease on all of my connections . The area I did my test run inn is pretty much freshwater