Want to set up electric start

duckhunter0214

Recruit
I have a 1986 25hp mercury. It has a red button on the end of tiller handle and two screw mounts where a starter can mount under the front of fly wheel. It also has electrical wires that go up under the flywheel. My question is can I simple buy a starter and install it or is there much more to it to set up the electric start for it?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The red button on the tiller is a kill switch not a starter switch. The wires coming out from under the fly wheel cannot be used for charging the battery they are ignition wires only. Mercury might make this as a kit a dealer or an internet search maybe find it on ebay.

You will need these items for electric start only
The correct start switch and bracket
A ring gear for the flywheel
A neutral safety switch
A starter motor
A starter solenoid

You will need these items for charging the battery
The charging coils
A rectifier

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Typically the parts listed above are very pricy, and that's only if they are actually available, they normally add up to far more than the value of the motor. Finding a dead motor with all the parts you need is the most cost effective method.

duckhunter0214

Recruit
Yegboats, I think the first one is what I need. Does that include an alternator for a charging system.

duckhunter0214

Recruit
FlyingScott, how hard of a job would it be to install that starter kit myself. I'm a capable learner at things but usually need visual aids. Is it more of a job for a professional mechanic to do?

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Yes it comes with alternator kit, and the start button so you wouldn't have to buy it separate. Definitely need to confirm with the serial number though.

xxtavixx

Cadet
I did not see this mentioned anywhere - but you may need a new stator, too. A lot of mercury stators do not have wires to run to the rectifier built into them. From the stator you should have 1 wire for each cylinder, and then you will need at least 2 wires running to the rectifier. So if it's a 4 cylinder, you would need a total of 6 wires running from the stator in order to power the rectifier.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
FlyingScott, how hard of a job would it be to install that starter kit myself. I'm a capable learner at things but usually need visual aids. Is it more of a job for a professional mechanic to do?

It is very easy to do you do all the brackets are cast into the motor hardest part you will have to pull the flywheel. The kit will come with instructions or come back here I have an 87 25 hp i installed electric start on I can probably get some pics for you. Also get the wiring diagram for your motor.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I did not see this mentioned anywhere - but you may need a new stator, too. A lot of mercury stators do not have wires to run to the rectifier built into them. From the stator you should have 1 wire for each cylinder, and then you will need at least 2 wires running to the rectifier. So if it's a 4 cylinder, you would need a total of 6 wires running from the stator in order to power the rectifier.

Do not need the whole stator for that motor only need the charging coils and rectifier for that motor. The charging coils are listed in post #2

duckhunter0214

Recruit
Thanks Flyingscott and yegboats and everyone for the info. Will probably need your help again once I spring for the kit.