1998 25hp Mercury

Status
Not open for further replies.

magikstik

Cadet
Hi All,
I have a 1998 25hp Mercury with elec. start which has lost compression in the bottom cylinder. I would like opinions on if it is worth the trouble of changing out the power head on it? I am told the cylinder cannot be bored out due to a nickel sleeve in that model? Any opinions or help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

THANKS!!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Yes it can be bored out I would rebuild it personally. You will need to find a machine shop can handle doing a blind bore and the mercosil.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Mercosil is what mercury calls it's plating. I am pretty sure thats what it's called it will say what it is on the block on the top cyl.

magikstik

Cadet
Thanks!! I will seek out another dealer, and see what their opinion is on the motor.. The old 2 strokes are getting hard to find now...

magikstik

Cadet
I have still not found anyone who is familiar with this type of repair.. Any suggestions.? How intensive is changing the power head or block..?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Look for an automotive machine shop you do not need the dealer for this. Find out who your dealer uses as a machine shop this isn't brain surgery it's done every day. Changing the block is easy enough get the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.