'76 Merc 650 Prop Shaft Play

holidayboat

Cadet
Hello,

I am in the middle of restoring the this OB and the Starcraft it came on when it was purchased in '75. Both in great condition, but obviously require common maintenance items performed to ensure operability and reliability. I have rebuilt the carbs, installed a fuel pump and fuel filter kit, preformed a compression test, inspected all LU components then installed all new seals and impeller, rebuilt the OB side wiring harness, started, brought to temp, and fogged.

I have two issues. First, i have a misfire, found the cyl 3 coil arcing to the coil bracket, new one in the mail. Second, when I reinstalled the bearing carrier and propeller shaft, i went to check for reverse backlash and I found the propeller shaft has the ability to be pushed in about 3/16" when in neutral or in forward. Below is what I wrote in my original post linked below

"Second, when I reinstalled the lower on the OB everything went smoothly, with the exception of temporarily losing some fasteners. BUT when it was all assembled, I checked the play in the propeller shaft and found that the propeller shaft is able to be pushed in about 3/16" just to spring back outward. I spent time trying to understand how this could happen, and since the propeller shafts free play is taken up by the clutch pin spring, this is resistance I feel pushing it in. When in reverse gear, the propeller shaft can no longer be pushed in, which is probably the clutch cross pin that was pushed all the way towards the propeller by the shift shaft cam, holding the prop shaft all the way out. In forward, the propeller can still be pushed in. I checked the reverse gear backlash and it is good. I am scratching my head and cannot find any information on whether this is normal or not. My intuition tells me it isn't right since the forward end of the prop shaft (shift cam end) is all that is supporting forward thrust. Or am i wrong?"

Is this actually normal? If it isn't, what could be causing this?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Charlie

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would say the bearing on the forward gear takes all the thrust !

holidayboat

Cadet
I was thinking the same, I may be over thinking it. Still, any thoughts on the play I'm seeing?

holidayboat

Cadet
bump for some help on this. I dont have a tool to turn the cover nut. Maybe tapping it in isnt enough?? What would an easy way to make a tool.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If you went to a dealer and did the same thing to a new engine, you would find the same thing. Perfectly normal