1979 Mercury 40hp Engine Mount Replacement?

crotonpond

Seaman
I have a 1979 Mercury 40 that i just picked up. Its in great shape and runs really nice. I noticed yesterday that I have exhaust escaping from both motor mounts. I replaced the motor mounts on a mid 90's mercury a few years ago and had to remove the power head. Will this be the same scenario? Do i really need to replace them?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
See if the mounts have play in them. Check to see that the powerhead mounting nuts are tight. You may just have a bad gasket or two under the powerhead.

crotonpond

Seaman
See if the mounts have play in them. Check to see that the powerhead mounting nuts are tight. You may just have a bad gasket or two under the powerhead.

There is some play in the mounts. I torqued all powerhead nuts down this morning and fired it back up. The exhaust is def. coming out of the mounts. Its not terrible, but I hate exhaust leaks...It's just the time I dont have right now to fix it...Powerhead will have to come off correct?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Those upper mount bolts aren't supposed to loosen. In 86 I had to pull my 115s' powerhead to tighten the upper mount bolts which had loosened. Reinstalled them with red Lock-Tite.

crotonpond

Seaman
The bolt are tight from what I can tell. Obviously I can't get a wrench in there. It's the rubber mounts that look to wore down? It appears they act as an exhaust seal?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If exhaust is getting out there a gasket has been compromised. Power head has to come off in any case