1978 Mercury 900 90hp distributor assembly needed

talbee

Seaman
I'm not sure if this post is in the correct section.

I have a 1978 Mercury 900 90hp that needs a complete compatible distributor assembly. Please don't offer the part from cdi electronics because mine does come apart.

Can someone please help me find the part?

I've been looking for 2 weeks everyday, and getting to the point where I'm looking at motors since this part is so hard to find.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
What comes apart??? The economizer collar and shaft are removeable and the CDI one is only one offered out there unless you go used.

talbee

Seaman
I've tried following diagram instruction, but they're not very good.

We have 4-6 boat motor repair shops locally and a few outside of town and they won't touch it since its not 1985 or newer.

The only guy that does work on old motor about 6 months out and charges $80/hrs and he says it takes about 4hrs plus parts. Heck, I could buy 2 of them in the end for that price.

I cannot find a video that shows how to take it apart

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
4hrs is pretty close..take it off,disassemble,reassemble,reinstall and set timing and syn and link,.Here a video on disassembly but its not complete as it doesn't show driving out locating pin or shimming the rotor disk. Also one slip or drop of trigger while apart and the sensor will break off it it hits on it
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKeCX45HUpw

talbee

Seaman
It did start yesterday. I need to check the ohms to see if it's actually faulty. What's the reading on that please?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
No ohms reading just volts.....posted in earlier post.Since you have spark come and go replace the carbon pin in cap...

talbee

Seaman
Thanks Faztbullet!

One thing I noticed, I tried to start it in the morning and it didn't start. I ran a hair dryer on it to see what would happen and it started up after i warmed up that part. Any thoughts about that?