Help! Low power issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow_tek001

Recruit
Hi folks, I'll post this in the Chrysler force forum as well...

I have a 96 mercury sport jet 120, last time I took it out (which was also the first trip this year) it started out running great, no problems. After booting around for twenty minutes my friend accidentally knocked my battery cut off switch. It bogged down a bunch but then went back to normal when I turned the battery switch back on. It then ran perfect for about 5 minutes and suddenly lost about half power, like it was running off of two cylinders. The situation didn't really improve at all anymore that day, so I took it home and did some trouble shooting. Reading the service manual, it clearly says "warning, disconnecting the battery while running can cause damage to the electronics"

So, what I've done so far is this... I've checked the stator, it's the red stator and it seems to be OK.
I've checked the resistance on the triggers, they seem fine. I've checked the coils and they seem fine. I've done a cold dry compression test, and all numbers are close and within specs. I've checked spark on all plugs, and they all spark bright.

I'm guessing a fuel delivery issue, but that doesn't mesh with the battery disconnection issue...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edward

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why post in two forums? It says Mercury on the cowling, not Chrysler. The Chrysler thread is gone.

You got lucky and didn't fry anything or it wouldn't have run OK for 5 minutes. Doubtful anyway.

shadow_tek001

Recruit
Because there's not going to be much Chrysler force owners perusing the mercury forums...
So I figured it made sense to post in both forums as the engine basically has two names. That way I'd get assistance from both places. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Edward.

GA_Boater

Because there's not going to be much Chrysler force owners perusing the mercury forums...
So I figured it made sense to post in both forums as the engine basically has two names. That way I'd get assistance from both places. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Edward.

We do. Check the rules about multiple threads on the same issue.

shadow_tek001

Recruit
Well I guess it's a good thing you removed that thread, otherwise my one extra thread out of over one hundred thousand others may have been the straw that broke the camels back. Don't want to crash the server, God forbid.

In any case, the problem fixed itself. I opened the throttle to wot while in reverse for a second and heard it change suddenly for the better. After that, it worked.

Edward.

GA_Boater

Don't worry. The problem will be back. They don't fix themselves.

Next time just start one thread because it has nothing to do with server capacity. It's about helping you and always has been. Our members don't like answering questions on the same issue in more than one thread. and help for you gets lost.

But you don't believe it, I can tell by your reply. You only visit when you want help. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.