2007 Mercury Opti

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,
I'm looking for a rig and found a 98' Seaswirl that looks decent. It has a 150 hp Optimax on it. The guy wants $8500 for the boat, motor and trailer.
The motor looks decent but this would be my first boat, ever! At 60 years old I'm no rookie but I don't know much about outboards. I'm a decent mechanic
But am hoping for some insight on this rig . Please see link
Thanks, Jcris

http://modesto.craigslist.org/boa/5536422054.html

SparkieBoat

Captain
the optimax motors are about as good as any of the rest of them, you must regularly maintain them and take care of them for sure, you will need either a dependable outboard shop or a diagnostic tool. ($700) I would probably hold out for a 4 stroke yammy or suzuki, but thats just me. I am not much for that style of boat either, but it depends on how you plan to use it. If you offered him $7500 he would probably take it.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Sparkle,
Yeah I'm not really that fired up about this style of boat either. I've been looking for a few months without much luck so I've been looking more at all kinds of rigs.
Kinda giving in to the best value thought. I'm really looking for a fishing boat that can handle the wind on Clearlake . I don't plan to take chances but stuff happens.
I'm really trying to keep cost down too. I would really like to get a newer 4 stroke but they can be pricey. Especially above 100 hp which is where I'd like to be so I can use it with more confidence on bigger water. The California delta isn't far and striper and sturgeon are great fun. Haven't seen many Suzuki or Yamaha 4 stroke's on the used market. I'm willing to spend prolly $8k for a decent rig with a very good motor. Sure, it would be nice if it looked good too but reliablility is key.
Thanks for the insight,
Jcris

SparkieBoat

Captain
I would recommend a 17-21' bay style boat. they sit a little higher than a regular bass boat but not as high as a deep vee boat. I have found this to be a very versatile style of boat. I have a 19' sea pro, 1900SV, 2003 model, I love it. I would recommend the composite transom, you will never have to mess with it. You should be able to find a late 90s early 2000s in great shape for in the 8-10K range. with a 4 stroke. I really like the suzuki 140. but Yamaha is a great motor too. I have had mine off shore on calm days and up in the rivers and lakes, also pulls tubes/skiers great. best boat I ever had.

SparkieBoat

Captain
It looks ok, price is a little high. those motor repairs can get pricey when you out them in the shop. That is a good style of boat though. If you will be using mostly in salt water. the boat is older and almost surely does not have a composite transom. that is a galvanized trailer as opposed to an aluminum one, which I would rather have. I have that exact same motor, it was a good motor but needed a new ISC valve and the bad ISC valve had damaged the computer, it still ran out pretty good but sometimes it would not shut off when I switched the key off. I would be wary of anything that needs repair. Around here that motor in perfect shape with a certified mechanics approval and low hours would sell for $5K tops. That trailer would sell for about $500 tops, and the boat which looks to be in great shape $1500 tops. I know prices may be higher in CA. But I think that you should wait on exactly what you want. If you really like that set up, tell them to get the motor fixed and serviced (new water pump , gear oil and engine oil) by a certified Yamaha mechanic and have the shop check the motor out and print you a report from the computer showing the hours and other information. If the shop clears the motor as in good shape then you could make an offer. My tops if I really wanted that set up would be around $7K, I would probably only offer $6K , but keep in mind prices here are lower I think.

SparkieBoat

Captain
here is one to consider, I like these flats/bay boats. But you may want one with higher sides depending on how you will use it. You could call the manufacturer and they could tell you if it has a composite transom. But it does have the aluminum trailer and a much newer boat and slightly newer motor, the motor has incredibly low hours. I would ask if it is a rebuild or new powerhead? maybe just a new computer? https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa/5557208945.html

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Hello Sparkle,
What a great looking boat (Savannah). If it were closer to me I don't believe I could resist it. I passed on the Sea Ray last night. I can appreciate not getting into something that needs repair right away. I've been looking for about 4 months and have not seen anything even close to the Sea Boss. I'm tempted to text the seller and just see if he's open to an offer that might make getting it here to California affordable. Probably an idea born out of frustration. Well the search continues .
Can't thank you enough for your generous help!
Regards,
Jcris

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
FWIW I actually started the conversation with the Sea Ray owner by asking if $7K was in the ballpark. Probably not the best approach but he didn't
question it at all. He's asking $8500 and seems willing to take $7k right off the bat. Made me leary . Made me think perhaps he wanted to get rid of a problem.
He also said his mechanic diagnosed it to be the idle sensor. After some research online I could not find a breakdown of that motor showing an idle sensor.
Maybe he just used the wrong part name, who knows. Anyway, moving on...
Have a great day,
Jcris

SparkieBoat

Captain
yea, good luck. 7K would be about right with the motor completely fixed and maintained and approved by a certified mechanic. but i dont think that is exactly what you wanted anyway. I could not believe how many I/O boats there are over there compared to outboard boats. I/O boats are not very liked around here..too much maintenance. I would have expected a lot more choices in the San Fransisco area. I can see why you are tempted to settle for something. but wait for the right boat to come along it will happen