1984 150hp black max

Ashton.r

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,

I havent posted in here in a long time. I got rid of my 115hp and went to a proper amount of hp for my boat. I got a steal on an 1984 black max 150 runs perfect smooth and strong. However id like to put either a water temp gauge or water pressure gauage. Ive look into to it but struggling to find a clear description of what to do. Ive also found that a water pressure gauge may be better or more reliable than a water temp. For the water temp i found on forums that there is a spot right under the flywheel that has a cap in it for where the water temp gauge fitting goes. I have pictures of what i think is this spot and will attach. Also im trying to figure out how to get a trim gauge working. The trim works perfect and there is two wires coming off the trim assembly other than the ones that goes to the trim pump. Are these two wires for a trim gauge?

Thanks for your time guys!

Ashton.r

Seaman Apprentice
13112444_10206790483543142_1565982807_o.jpg 13113315_10206790482183108_1131120962_o.jpg

I tried uploading pictures with arrows but kept saying files to big. but the spot im talking about is right under the flywheel beside the silver cap the square hole cap. the silver cap is at the 9 position and the cap Im referring to where i think the temp gauge fittings go is at the 12 o clock position.

sam am I

Commander
the silver cap is at the 9 position

I believe those are called "welch plugs"

temp gauge fittings go is at the 12 o clock position.

No.......Remove this plug and install your water pressure fittings/hardware that run to your pressure gauge. The water here under this plug is post water pump and has basically just come in from the lake and won't reflect engine temp.

SAM_3932a.JPG

I added an electronic pressure sender (mech works fine too) . The clear hose (you don't use/have one) goes to the poppet but, you get the jest here I'm sure

As for temp, I don't know your block that well but, mine has a manu's DRY hole bored into the water cooled cylinder head that a temp sender is held and sits in. It isn't water temp per-se but, is probably a real close second, more of a temp change lag than error.

Perhaps someone who knows your block can help with where a stock temp sender was/is. It's also possible non was ever intended for that block someone might have added one somewhere..I seem to recall someone doing that, I'll see if I can find the post..........

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain
like Sam says... remove tha pipe plug and reduce down ta accept a fitting for pressure gauge bib... for a temp gauge look at your starboard head.. right under # 1 you'll see a bracket holding tha "over heat" sensor.... a "temp" sensor that looks a lot like that will mount in tha same place on tha "port" side... that is if you can find all tha right parts (bracket and sensor) for a motor that old......

Last edited:

Ashton.r

Seaman Apprentice
Sam am i. Thanks alot for the info man greatly appreciate it! So what i thought was the spot for the temp gauage is actually where the water pressure fittings go correct? I like what you did with your set up and the electrical pressure gauge. I think ill honestly just stick with a mechanical. Greatly appreciate your help!!

Dukedog. Thank you for responding as well!! Im honestly debating if i wanna toss in a temp gauge because from what ive been seeing once the pressure is good i really shouldnt need a temp gauage what do you guys think??