Mercury 25 - lock hook disengage

shadower

Recruit
Hello all.

I have an a 1997 Mercury 25hp (serial 0G446333) that when I get on it (full throttle) the reverse lock hook disengages from the tilt pin. Simulating this in the driveway the hook disengages easier if I turn one way or the other. I replaced the shallow drive lever at the end of the season last year. I doubled checked the install and everything looks right. Could this be the return springs on the reverse lock hook being too weak? What else could it be?

Thanks

-Michael

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The hook only locks in neutral and reverse it should disconnect when you put it in forward. If you are full throttle in reverse it may not have enough grab to hold the motor they are only plastic hooks.

shadower

Recruit
I should have just explained what is really happening instead what I think is happening.

When going forward and I give it full throttle the motor will suddenly tilt upwards (away from the transom). and pivot back and forth.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Put up a video sounds like something is broken. The hook is working the way it should it should not lock down in forward. They do this so when it hits something it can break away. In forward there is no way that motor should be able tilt away from the transom unless you hit something. Is the motor suddenly revving up when this happens and the boat slowing down.