Motor will not turnover. Help!

Dneals

Recruit
I accidently hooked the cranking battery up backwards and tried to start the motor. Blew 2 fuses in the motor in the process. I replaced the 2 fuses but it will not turnover and one of the fuses keeps blowing everytime now. I can jump the motor off at the starter solenoid. It's a 4 stroke mercury 60hp 2014 I believe.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The rectifier has had its factory smoke released.......it took a dump.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What color was the smoke? A friend of mine told me that from experience he learned that MOVs release smoke in the color of the MOV.

Sorry to hear you are probably in for some serious expenditure. They do make semi conductor fuses that will blow on 1/4 cycle but they can't handle inductive pickup so I don't think you could use one of those. Stick with the designed fuses. They're there to protect your wiring and equipment the best they can.

Good luck fixing it.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
When rectifiers blow they sometimes melt to a dead short. When you put a fuse in it will immediately blow.

Disconnect the Red wire from the rectifier, this should isolate it from the battery. Also disconnect both yellows as if the motor does start it may be possible for the charging coils of the stator to be over-loaded going straight to ground and take out your stator. Now put in a fuse and hit the starter, it should turn.

You will have NO battery charging until that rectifier is replaced.