1985 Mercury 60hp not pumping help!!!!!

Zack04562

Recruit
So I'm having troubles with my 1985 Mercury 60hp. I've replaced my impeller the old one didn't really look bad but I hear they can be so I just changed it. Checked the lines all the way through and nothing is clogged. She just won't pump, I might come off as stupid but is the copper pipe running up through supposed to go into some sort of line because I can't find it anywhere. It's hard to see because the boat is outside on a trailer and I am having a hard time seeing up in there to see if there is a line or slot for it. Any info would be great thank you!!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A flashlight should shed some light on it. In most cases the pipe fits into a grommet in the exhaust plate. There might be a guide surrounding the grommet

Zack04562

Recruit
Got it lined up it pumps out the back exhaust but not the pee hole? And nothing is clogged any other ideas why it's doing this?

yzf125

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you make sure the Key is in place on the impeller ?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Can you blow back through the telltale? On muffs, you'll see water coming out the propeller, and maybe a mist out the exhaust relief below the rear of the powerhead. The telltale/pisser is a small outlet and easily plugged up.