1986 mariner 60hp no spark.

Cruegge1

Recruit
I recently was given a 60hp mainer. It has no spark. I'm new to boats but Im a ASE master certified mechanic. From what I have read power runs from the stater to the switch box to the coils. The stater throws spark but it is lost at the swithbox. I have tested the coils and they are in spec. Can anyone shed some light on this. I think the switchbox is like an ignition control mod that disturbes the spark but correct me if I'm wrong. I have good compression and fuel btw.

yzf125

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like you have found the problem, Replace the switchbox.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Before spending any money on a switchbox get the CDI Troubleshooting Guide from their site. It will walk you through testing the stator, triggers and coils. Only after proving they all are OK is it safe to spend money on a switchbox.
http://www.cdielectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Troubleshooting-Guide-Inside-Pages.pdf

A DVA meter or aq DVA Adaptor for any standard Volt/Ohm meter is needed to properly conduct cranking tests. You can build one cheaply.
Simple, easy to make DVA adapter for standard Multimeter inch gap in free air in order to consistently light the cyl at high load and RPM.
The stator is an AC Generator generating high voltage, between low voltage coils and high voltage coils which charge capacitors in the switchbox. These caps discharged by a transistor switched by a low voltage signal generated by the triggers, sending a high voltage pulse to the individual coils, creating a very hot spark that must be sufficiently hot to jump a blue arc across a 7/16

Glad I checked the links. CDI has changed the address of their guide. This is the downloadable pdf

Cruegge1

Recruit
so I receive the new CDi Saturday morning and installed it.Still no spark. I'm still getting good signal from the stator to the CDI but no high voltage signal to the coils. I am getting a low voltage signal coming from the power pack that I was not getting before.I'm downloading troubleshoot guide now to take a look at a few more things. I'm all ears for any suggestions though

Cruegge1

Recruit
okay so I ran through the troubleshooting guide I'm just testing some things without a DVA right now but using a test light on a spark indicator I'm getting spark now that I've disconnected the rectifier. will post readings once I get a DVA tomorrow

Cruegge1

Recruit
so the new rectifier came in today now with it hooked up I'm getting spark but it is very weak small blue arc maybe jumps 1/16 gap gap. I have low voltage signal from the triggers the capacitor is getting power the rectifier and switch box are brand new where should I go from here

xxtavixx

Cadet
Try checking the grounds - many of the older motors have a very poor grounding. Run the wires to make sure there is not a lot of corrosion or breaks. I recently burned out a wire going from my stator because it had too much corrosion and it over-heated.

Cruegge1

Recruit
All of the wiring looks fine. Removed and cleaned all grounds. I have a starting coming also. The old one didn't sound to healthy. I've read the engine needs 250rpm to properly spark but I don't know how true this is. Any thoughts?