2001 mercury 25. Acts like a spum hub, even with a new prop

frobotz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
last week I thought I spun the hub on my mercury 25 prop. needed a new prop anyway so I bought a new one with different pitch. Tried again and it still slipd when its trying to get up on plane. I haven't marked the prop to check because I brought it home to inspect gear lube. Everything seems fine. no water in the oil. Very fresh lube. just changed it a couple weeks ago. Other than a spun prop does anyone have any ideas before I tear the lower unit apart? thanks in advance

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Before it start taking the LU apart do a couple simple tests. With the boat out of the water and NOT running shift into F gear. Step on the leading edge of a blade to see if it is fully locked into gear. It should cause the motor to turn over.

Repeat this test in R and stepping on the trailing edge, which would be cutting into the water when turning reverswe. Is it still fully locking into gear and turning the motor?

If both are Yes then I doubt if the LU is your problem. What type of prop? Is it a 'pressed hub' or one of the other style that has removable thru parts, like a square plastic bushing?