What diagnostic tools do we need?

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm one of a group of guys that meet up on the weekends on the Red River ( North Louisiana )...we get together on the weekends and try to outsmart the flatheads and the blue channel catfish....we camp out and cook up what we catch....catfish right out of the river is still cold when we fry it up.....dont need to catch a boat load just what we need to have a good time...
Anyway...the topic of engine repair always comes up around the fire up as we aren't used to takin' our rigs to the dealer...
Question..?
If we wanted to band together and get several pieces of diagnostic gear to keep our motors going....what do some of you recommend.
Is there something that you can't do without..?
The largest engine one of us has is a 60HP 1990 Merc...2 stroke.....a couple of is have older motors and such.....we have a spark tester that we pass around.....and a compression gauge.....and all of us are country boys and are pretty mechanically minded....
All except one can use a computer and owns a VOM
BTW...I'm reading this email before I send it and I'm probably one of millions of guys in the same boat....no pun intended..
I just don't have anyone that I can take my boat to when I have a prob.....I'm on my own...and so is the group.
I've [posted a couple of things that ha been a prob. with one member...
and I've gotten some good advice..
Be interested in some ideas and comments from the forum as to your wish list for equipment for your shop..

sam am I

Commander
The manu's service/maintenance manual/s for the specific engine/s in question. PDF ver. of course to use with your puter :)

Last edited:

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We could buy a service manual for all of our motors

sam am I

Commander
Buy, download, borrow, whatever.....use your ingenuity, the sky is the limit. You said you had basic tools and these manuals I assume you've read/seen? They/most all have very valuable trouble shooting and diagnostics guides even for country boys that you can use to get going again probably more often then not given you didn't throw a rod etc

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You must be the one that can't use a computer. LOL

Portable Document Format (PDF) manuals are electronic versions of hard copy manuals. But if you don't take a computer fishing, they won't do much good. A better way may be to print the PDF's and keep the printouts in a dry bag.

But seriously, there isn't much you can do in remote waters except change spark plugs. A compression test is no help because if you do find a low hole, what can you do about it?

Some basic tools, plugs, extra gas and two stroke oil, fuel filter, spare prop and a tow rope is probably about a realistic list of must haves. Since you boat in a group, the tow rope is probably the most important.

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You guys are great....I appreciate the sense of humor.....it sticks to my ribs like rice and beans....very satisfying..
Downloading the PDF service manual is OK....they charge for that dont they,,,,I mean the actual service manual....? Maybe not?
This is not rocket science is it?
Glad to know I have a bunch of red necks to help me..
Thanks.

JonBrown

Seaman
Hello dthx,
The manuals from the 90's are available sometimes free and if not Amazon has them, Sealoc for 10-20 bucks a year you could have the service techs manual.
There isnt any science behind fixing those engines. The ignition is the most expensive and troublesome thing. You can buy those old tools on ebay, mostly all you need is a compression gauge and a real good voltmeter. There are a few techy tools to buy but you can tell with a voltmeter almost any ignition or wiring need.
The more modern like 2001 and above use ECM or computers.. The cost for my laptop is about 200 bucks a engine brand for a year. But that is to big for what you need.

sam am I

Commander
Noooooooooo Seloc!!!! They're ok but, OEM's are best IMO/E

Click here for a start....Free for the pickn's and pick your poisons!! Choose manual/s/page/s, use the print at the bottom, print to your local adobe distiller (or equiv) to make PDF's

Gotta love those Norsk folk eh?

Last edited:

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok.....I can find and print out a service manual for my motor, at least I think I can......I'll check EBAY......my Johnson was made in 1976.....still runs great for the kind of fishing I do.
Thanks to all.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
A very handy tool for ignition problems is a DVA Meter. I bought mine maybe 30 years ago from CDI Electronics. Most helpful when testing stators, triggers, ign coils.

CDI also had a very good Outboard Ignition Troubleshooting Guide. Downloadable. FREE. I got one in print, again, long ago. This booklet covers most EVERY manufacture ign systems with step-by-step tests well spelled out. Down to which color wire to test.

This booklet goes everywhere in my toolbox/toolbag.

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for taking the time to describe what you use. It helps a lot...I sure do need something.....