2001 Mercury 50 hp Model 1050412YN stuck in reverse

don37725

Cadet
2 cam follower.png 1 shift cam.png 0419161600a.jpg 0419161600.jpg 0419161650a.jpg 0419161651c.jpg 0419161650.jpg 0419161652.jpg shifted to reverse and went full throttle - could not shift back to neutral - took apart and stumped

Parts diag shows shift cam (#38 diag 1) which shift rod moves up / down - shift cam has 3 steps for fwd / N / rev and as it moves up and down it looks like it should push cam follower (#52 diag 2) in and out which moves clutch to f/n/r - in other words shift rod moves down, shift cam steps move down which pushes cam follower in which pushes clutch in - That's how I think it should work

In my case the cam follower is attached or stuck on? the shift cam - see pics - when I move the shift rod down it only moves a 1/4 inch up down because cam follower is attached to shift cam and follower hits side of case

I can't figure out how or why why shift follower is attached to shift cam - any help or ideas appreciated

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Part #54 you circled in the one parts view should be a rod with a rounded nose. This rod should be slid into the end of the propshaft, the ramp on the shifter should control how far this rod pushes the shift slider gear assy back and forth to give you F/N/R. I appears this rod is broken, that it had drilled/welded itself into the shift cam. You should only see the ramp and detents in the cam.

You will need a new cam AND that rod #54.

When you get the new rod make SURE that it slides in/out of the propshaft freely as the shaft has to spin but the rod may or may not, iff it sticks it will be difficult shifting.

That stub will have to come out of there, otherwise the cam will not move up to come out of the top. Mark or count the number of threads the control shaft is screwed into that cam, this is a critical distance. If wrong it will have to be adjusted again it upper connector, PITA. Be careful.