charging issue 1988 xr4

Chief BDF

Recruit
Hi guys, I have a 1988 xr4, after lots of trial and error I have come to realize it is time to replace rectifier, voltage regulator, trigger plate and stator. I am also going to disconnect and remove the advance module and time correctly. Here is my issue, when inspecting the system I realized that the previous owner had disconnected the voltage regulator, not only do I have no idea as to why, but I have ran it that way for over two years! I can find the regulator in the IPL, but NOWHERE does it show it on a wiring schematic. I have no idea where to hook up the wires when I get the new parts. Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
Did the 88 xr4 have a voltage reg? or just a rectifier? Perhaps someone else knows, IDK and I'm being lazy, it hot out side!!.............However and either way, wiring it back up is not so bad. Here is what I THINK you have courtesy maxrules.com

You have only two yellow battery charge wires coming from stator, right?

http://www.maxrules.com/oldmercs/Wir...a/79_88_V6.jpg

Last edited:

Chief BDF

Recruit
Yes, I only have two yellow wires, and I know the schematic shows only the rectifier, but what confuses me is the IPL and the parts list not only shows a voltage regulator, but I have one bolted on the top of my engine with two wires secured to it and running down through the wiring harness and ending at the switch boxes. In fact one of the wires is taped off and the other shows evidence of have being hooked up to something in the past. I am totally confused, I am pretty sure the reg needs hooked up, but where? The system would not be regulated and in theory could over charge the battery without it. Even though it is only 16 amps the danger of boiling out a batt is still there if not regulated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What parts list shows a regulator? All those I've looked at only show a rectifier.

There are 1,000's and 1.000's and 1.000's of Mercs running around without regulators and the batteries aren't boiling.

It is possible a PO added a regulator and later disconnected it for some reason.

Are you testing components or shotgunning? CDI does have a troubleshooting guide for electrical.

sam am I

Commander
Yes, I only have two yellow wires, and I know the schematic shows only the rectifier, but what confuses me is the IPL and the parts list not only shows a voltage regulator, but I have one bolted on the top of my engine with two wires secured to it and running down through the wiring harness and ending at the switch boxes. In fact one of the wires is taped off and the other shows evidence of have being hooked up to something in the past. I am totally confused, I am pretty sure the reg needs hooked up, but where? The system would not be regulated and in theory could over charge the battery without it. Even though it is only 16 amps the danger of boiling out a batt is still there if not regulated.

Pretty much any system can be made/modified to be regulated, even the older just rectified 8, 10, 16 yada yada amp motors can have reg/rec's added. Few threads here running around on just that.

A PO just added a reg/rec sounds and perhaps it got all messed up over the years of other PO's trying to make sense of a system that shouldn't have one......like you are.

Go back to the schematic I linked you too and just substitute/splice in your/a rec/reg in place of the rectifier it shows.........2 yellows in, 1 red to your battery at solenoid(I recommend a fuse), 1 black to ground and 1 grey to a tach. That's it, your done........

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
On some models they installed a "clipper" on op of engine. It looks like a 2 wire rectifier. Just chuck it or leave it disconnected and use a good type 24 battery.

sam am I

Commander
This looking right?......... voltage regulator wiring 2.4.jpg

september 8 2011 9.jpg

WIRING HARNESS, STARTER SOLENOID AND RECTIFIER_Page_1.jpg WIRING HARNESS, STARTER SOLENOID AND RECTIFIER_Page_2.jpg

It appears to me this is no more than a separated rectifier and regulator setup. If the reg. was disconnected from the rec, its possible it was disconnected for a reason eh? So if you find its shot........it appears doing a quick search at new prices for these "vintage" reg only units, they are going for around $200!!

I WOULD NOT pay that!! I'm too cheap............So unless your into totally stock and IMO, antiquated technology in electronic designs, I would recommend going back with today'ishes newer more efficient reliant integrated rec/reg....

http://www.amazon.com/RECTIFIER-REGU...ilpage_o03_s00

These are 20 Amp units and will run perfectly in your setup. Plus ya get a tach output......BONUS!!!

Last edited:

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Go with the Amazon rectifier.

If there is a separate regulator disconnect it and remove it. Same with any ignition advance module, remove it, as when this module fails at high RPM it can toss rods out the side of the engine.

Reset ignition timing as described in the thread that spells out timing.