2001 Mercury 50hp starting stuck "on"

jherrman

Recruit
I have a 2001 Mercury that I have had an ongoing issue with the starter getting stuck on. I will crank up the motor run across the lake and then when I shut off the engine I'll hear this loud humming noise which turns out to be the starter is still spinning full speed. The only solution is to run back and disconnect the starting battery to get it to stop. This seemed to have started when I replaced the solenoid on the motor which had completely stopped working. I originally replaced it with a used solenoid and ran into this issue, so I replaced that one with a brand new one. It did it once after I replaced it with the current new solenoid, but then didn't do it again for probably 30+ starts. Now all the sudden it did it again. I'm starting to think it must be something other than the solenoid, but have no idea what could cause this. Doe anyone have an idea of what could be the cause?

merc850

Commander
Could be a defective key switch or a shorting wire in the harness. Try disconnecting the battery then the wires to the solenoid use an ohmmeter to check the solenoid for continuity and the battery cables to solenoid for "on" condition.