75 hp 1995 Mariner prop won't rachet in reverse after prop seal and water pump change

scalebuilder

Cadet
I bet this has already been answered but I can't find it. I changed my prop shaft seals a few days ago and while I was at it, I replaced my impeller on the water pump. Got it all back together and WHAM...I have forward, I have neutral and I can even put it in reverse. However, the prop won't rachet in reverse like it did before I took it apart. I've done the water pump change three times and this is the first time I've ever had an issue. The only think I can think of is that the prop shaft moved rearward a bit when I pulled the carrier out to change the seals and something is wonky inside. What have I done and how do I undo it? I've put it on with the unit and shifter in neutral, I've put it on with the unit and shifter in fwd and even in reverse. Sometimes it's stuck in just forward but right now I have it back on with the fwd, neutral, locking both directions reverse issue. Help! Thanks.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Are you sure it ratcheted in reverse mercury motors usually only ratchet in forward.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Unless you have something different the dog should not allow it to ratchet in reverse only forward

scalebuilder

Cadet
When I'm wrong, I'm the second to admit it. My wife is usually first to point out that I'm wrong. I was confused with a different outboard. You are correct and I've been pulling out what little bit of hair that i have for no reason. The prop DOES NOT ratchet in reverse. Thank you for making me question what I thought I "knew" and dig a bit deeper. Thanks again! !