1997 90 horse power mercury carburetors

bigfishhunting

Recruit
i am having a issue with number two and number three carbs on my outboard the engine wont stay running then the two carbs start puking fuel out the front of then . i have pulled them off five times adjusted the floats and they are totally clean and can not figure this out any thing im missing that would cause this

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Either trash under inlet needles holding them open, bad needles or heavy floats...

yzf125

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree, try new needles and also check for fuel inside of the floats.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Are you installing the inlet needles pointy end down and are you installing the floats the right way (not upside down).

bigfishhunting

Recruit
Yes I put new needle valves in and yes pointed end down and floats are on right and the carbs are 100 percent clean no garbage in needle ports

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The only way fuel can exit the carb is from too much fuel in the float bowl. That is controlled by the float level and the needle and seat. You have something installed wrong or adjusted wrong or floats that don't float.

bigfishhunting

Recruit
This is the problem I know all this and am very good with carbs that'swhy II'm not understanding it at all

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If fuel is being "spit" out the carb rather than just "dribbling or running" out, you may have very rich idle mixture that is flooding the engine causing it to die. An ignition system problem (timing or spark) can cause issues as well.