2001 mercury 25hp 2 stroke. Will it start ?

frobotz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am waiting on a tiller conversion or controls, Whichever I can find first, but wanted to run the motor to check a few things. (in a bucket, not on the water) My question is will it pull start with the main harness disconnected? I left the control on the previous owners boat so I don't have anything plugged in, or will I need to hotwire anything. Still studying boat electrical schematics for this motor. Serial number 0T189406. thanks in advance for any help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If its a 2 stroke, it will start, however if it doesn't have a kill switch on the cowl, you may not be able to shut it down. Also, run it on muffs, or in a garbage can, a bucket won't be big enough

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes it will start. The stator makes the electricity for the spark but like Scott said, you won't have a way to shut it down. You would have to run a toggle switch from the kill wire to ground so you can stop it.

frobotz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just disconnected the fuel line and it ran out of fuel. I just wanted to run it for a few to check the water pump. Thanks everyone.