2001 mercury 200hp starting issues

Cjfox

Cadet
Hey guys I have a 2001 200hp mercury it has mechanical oil pump which mixes oil in the vst motor is efi original motor was carb got a onboard 100 gal tank has a fairly new primer bulb my issue is it will start then shut off several times then it will start and run fine I cut it off and try to start it does the same thing all over sometimes it will start Rev up jus abit then cut out I'm pretty sure it's a fuel issue just don't know where to start has a mechanical fuel pump which I guess supplies the vst fuel pump which has good pressure but the primer bulb never really tightens up soft about half way squeezed orbuntil u feel a center piece in the bulb any suggestions

Cjfox

Cadet
Update replaced the primer bulb and fuel filter still iffy on the bulb tightening up on priming but I lifted the fuel line about 8 inches or so and it primed right up perfectly but still having the starting issue lol so back to sq 1 got to be something on the motor

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Do you use the "choke"? If using the Quicksilver Commander 2000 or 3000 control boxes, grasp the key and push.....notice the key moves forward? This is activating a switch that operates a "fuel enhancement valve" that dumps excess fuel into your engine for starting, like you used to pull a lever and have a choke butterfly close across the venturi air intake, causing excessive fuel to be sucked out of the carb.

I used to push mine in for like 30 seconds and crank for 15. Prime bulb again, repeat process till engine started. After that, usually didn't need to push key in to start the rest of the day. With engine off, when correctly primed, bulb should get tight to the point that moderate hand pressure would not make the bulb collapse. While in the initial outing engine start procedure, it takes half a dozen pumps or so to get the carbs filled but once the bulb gets/ tries to get firm, if you can put moderate pressure on your bulb, attempting to hold it, and it slowly collapses with the engine off, your needle valves in one or more of your carbs are not closing off (float in carb not working properly.....needle leaking), hole in fuel pump diaphragm, or crack in an engine internal fuel line between the fuel inlet to the engine and the carburetor's fuel inlets.

Last edited:

Cjfox

Cadet
Do you use the "choke"? If using the Quicksilver Commander 2000 or 3000 control boxes, grasp the key and push.....notice the key moves forward? This is activating a switch that operates a "fuel enhancement valve" that dumps excess fuel into your engine for starting, like you used to pull a lever and have a choke butterfly close across the venturi air intake, causing excessive fuel to be sucked out of the carb.

I used to push mine in for like 30 seconds and crank for 15. Prime bulb again, repeat process till engine started. After that, usually didn't need to push key in to start the rest of the day. With engine off, when correctly primed, bulb should get tight to the point that moderate hand pressure would not make the bulb collapse. While in the initial outing engine start procedure, it takes half a dozen pumps or so to get the carbs filled but once the bulb gets/ tries to get firm, if you can put moderate pressure on your bulb, attempting to hold it, and it slowly collapses with the engine off, your needle valves in one or more of your carbs are not closing off (float in carb not working properly.....needle leaking), hole in fuel pump diaphragm, or crack in an engine internal fuel line between the fuel inlet to the engine and the carburetor's fuel inlets.

Yea it's not the fuel enrichment valve it fires right up no problem it will run then shut off after a couple seconds it will do this several times then it will start up and run perfectly then when I shut off motor it does it all over again

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Yea it's not the fuel enrichment valve it fires right up no problem it will run then shut off after a couple seconds it will do this several times then it will start up and run perfectly then when I shut off motor it does it all over again

Next time it starts to die, push in on the key and hold in till it recovers if it will respond. If so, you might have your low speed jets too tight.....screwed in too far. If that doesn't help give a yell to Faztbullet on here. I just realized you HAD a carb engine and now this is EFI. More parts to go nuts and he knows about them.

Cjfox

Cadet
Yea I think I'm going to put it in the shop the issue is pretty consistent so hopefully easy to track down for a experienced person I'm new to efi motors so definitely wouldn't hurt to get the motor checked over by a certified mechanic