1989 MERCURY V-135 - Mystery Cut Oil Line??? - HELP!!!

mrecho76

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can help me out and tell me where a mystery oil line that's cut is supposed to go. I recently acquired a 1989 Mercury V-135 and it seems to run great. Compression test is showing 115 on all cylinders (might be higher, my compression tester isn't the greatest). Upon inspecting the motor carefully, I discovered an oil line that's cut and not attached to anything (been running it on pre-mixed fuel just in case). There are 2 oil reservoirs, one main that was in the boat and one smaller that's attached to the motor. There are two lines that come from the main reservoir from the boat, one is attached to the block, and the other is attached to a T-fitting. The top of the T-fitting has a hose that feeds into the small reservoir attached to the motor, but the bottom of the T-fitting has this hose that's just hanging and isn't attached to anything. I can't seem to figure out where that was supposed to go!

Here's a video I took to show what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMNkkoqaw6k

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

sam am I

Commander
It is #6, it's used as a air intake relief vent to prevent a vacuum from forming in the reserve tank (#9) as oil gets used/removed. This can happen if the main oil line (#4) to the reservoir tank (#1) gets pinched/plugged off.

It's fine the way it is and should left pointing downwards to prevent crap from collecting in it.

image_239183.jpg

Last edited: