1974 Mercury 500e thunderboalt: accidentally reversed polarity in key switch!

dtedesco

Recruit
I was replacing the defective key switch on my tiller handle 1974 Mercury 500e. Connected the wire from the choke solenoid to the choke solenoid terminal on the key switch. Connected the wire from the starter solenoid to the starter solenoid terminal on the key switch. Connected the wire from the switch box/power pack to the power pack terminal on the key switch. Then I did the shameful thing: inverted the + and ground connection on the key switch! Without knowing what I had done, I went ahead and connected back the big cables to the battery posts, with the key switch on the OFF position. I correctly connected the ground cable to the the - post and the red cable to the + post. As soon as I connected the red cable to the + post, there were sparks on the + post, and some smoke coming out at the terminal(s) on the power pack, I cannot remember which ones(s). I believe it was the terminal connected to the wire from the key switch, but I am not sure. Disconnected the battery immediately. Rewired the key switch correctly,the engine cranks when I try to start it, the choke solenoid works, but of course no spark! Did I fry only the power pack or also something else? Thanks for the help.