2001 mercury 200hp efi saltwater series issues

Cjfox

Cadet
Hi guys new here got a couple of things I just installed a 200 merc on my fishing boat it's efi I bought quicksilver controls so it would be simple to hook up to harness but positive wire for fuel pump on motor wasn't there so I found a power source activated by ignition my question on this should the fuel pump always run when ignition is on but not running there is no fuel return lines coming out the motor and second ? The lower end was recently rebuilt new seals and water pump I installed the fresh lower unit and I'm getting no water out the tell tale getting alil air pressure and smoke but no water at first it dribbled alil I made sure it wasn't clogged then I took the line off the head still no water but warm water is pumping out alil pee hole on the the stbd side just above the cavatation plate any advice for a diy'er

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain
there is a red (may be red with blue tracer) and a black with red "dotted" tracer on it that are part of tha efi harness. they will have eyelets on tha pump end... red positive and black/red dots neg. will be only two that are separated and about 18" or longer.... if you used a "switched" hot (probably purple) and separate neg. it should run anytime tha switch is on... if you used tha ground coming out of tha efi harness then its controlled by tha ecu.....

ya might wanna "revisit" tha water pump stuff!

don't know what ya got goin' but its a definitely not right in a coupla areas...below is tha manual for your motor....

http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercury/manua...-200.html#/632

Last edited:

Cjfox

Cadet
Yea I went ahead and ordered a whole new water pump kit with the housing better safe then sorry but on the fuel pump issue yes the guy has it grounded straight the motor there was a purple wire which had a rubber plug in it which is controlled by the ignition which I used a alligator clip to connect to fuel pump but I do see a black wire with red dots clipped on the bottom of the efi module thanks think I'm good just to figure out this water issue

Dukedog

Captain
but positive wire for fuel pump on motor wasn't there so I found a power source activated by ignition my question on this should the fuel pump always run when ignition is on but not running there is no fuel return lines coming out the motor and second ?

with purple and ground it should run anytime tha key is on.... was tha electric pump disconnected when ya got tha motor?....

all tha bleed lines are on tha reed block and run to tha vst... none from tha block. they should be capped off at each cylinder....

Last edited:

Cjfox

Cadet
with purple and ground it should run anytime tha key is on.... was tha electric pump disconnected when ya got tha motor?....

all tha bleed lines are on tha reed block and run to tha vst... none from tha block. they should be capped off at each cylinder....

Yea not sure about bleed lines but yes fuel pump was not connected other then the fuel pump maybe wearing out quicker could this constant running damage anything I'm sure it's regulated to only 4 psi but seeing how there's no fuel return it just doesn't seem right so I want to try and hook it up correctly I checked the motor and the wire the was cut is solid black with a red stripe and its in the wire loom connecting between motor and efi box FWD of the motor if this is the ECU wire for the fuel pump I can just hook it to the neg side of fuel pump and just hook a ignition activated positive to the positive side and it should work properly fingers crossed I have ordered a manual let's just hope the previous owner didn't change any wires lol

Dukedog

Captain
if it was disconnected when ya got it there's a good chance tha pump driver circuit in tha ecu is bad.... he cut tha red/blu and black/red for a reason... don't use either... won't hurt it to run it with tha switched purple and separate ground but thats another story... that pump should maintain a very minimum of 34 lbs, max 39 lbs.. closer ta 39 all tha better...

up on top above tha vst you should see a bleed line with a "T" in it.. one bib of tha T goes to tha vst and tha other 2 bibs go down each side of tha reed plate to another T then to tha bottom of tha reed plate...

clink on tha link in other post for your manual.... has everything you need in it including bleed line dia and wiring dia.....