Replacing reeds 1979 Mercury 80 HP

Marc-B

Recruit
Hard to start, does not idle well, stalls at idle, once started and if I keep the revs up it will run all day, compression is about 127 in all cylinders, gear case in great shape. The problem is I do not trust it anymore, wife will not go out with me on the boat, some might argue that is not a bad thing. There are no repair shops willing to even take the cowl off the motor because of lack of parts, all shops are saying that it is more than likely a reed issue that at low idle it does not have enough suction to draw the fuel in. I am quite handy and mechanically inclined and am thinking of attempting to tackle this if I can find all the parts

So two questions, is it possible that worn out reeds would causes these problems, carbs were redone a few years ago and I use fuel stabilizers and run fresh fuel.

Second question, how big of a job is it to tackle and is it even worth attempting, do I just sell the motor for parts (has the optional PTT) and put a deposit on a new motor.

Thanks for any input

Marc-B

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The reeds on that motor are quite reliable. It would be a surprise if they are bad. Likely the carbs or ign timing is out of adjustment.

Anyway, the reed blocks are located on the crankshaft, directly under the carbs. You must pull the powerhead and open the crankcase and remove the crank and pistons. That is a pretty big job.

Remove the spark plugs and turn her over by hand. You should be able to feel the crankcase pressurize for each cylinder. That is a test of the reed valves. You should also detect blow back thru the carbs when turning the flywheel, if the reeds are bad.

Marc-B

Recruit
Well this is now a non issue, got a call this morning from an Evinrude dealer, asking me when I was going to bring my boat in for the new motor. I had no clue what he was talking about.

My wife went out and bought me a new etec 90 with all the goodies, talk about a surprise, especially when she said on the weekend, fix it, find a used one or sell the Whaler.

I better not forget our anniversary.

Someone want a used Merc.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Or birthday or Christmas or breakfast in bed. :smile:

Marc-B

Recruit
Yes she has 3 sisters but they are all spoken for.

Wanted to get the boat out of storage and start removing all the old gear, but I am now committed to going shopping all day and have been handed a Honey do list, she did the math and the work she has lined up for me will pay for a good chunk of the motor by not having to hire contractors.

Got to get the list done before the lakes thaw out, boat will be in the shop around mid March for the install, water test late April early May.

Will report back then on install and performance.

Marc-B

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Should be a sweet engine. More displacement than your crank rated 80hp. As for the old engine, I would say the seals at the ends of the crank were leaking, not too hard to change. Reeds rarely gave trouble, and usually only after someone tried 'improving' them.

Marc-B

Recruit
The biggest issue I had in trying to get the old Merc fixed was that no one wanted to even remove the cowl from the engine, not even to do some minor maintenance that did not require a tear down.

So if anyone is looking for a 1979 Mercury 80 HP with PTT (external oil pump) with cables, gauges, new ignition switch and Morse control, gear case is in great shape, no leaks. Make me an offer, will drive to Eastern Ontario or Northern New-York to deliver (for the right offer)

Thanks
Marc-B